• Register Today It's free!

OTC 6488 v.s. OTC 6489

Geeshik

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4.oh
So this cam timing kit is for 97 to 02 Ford 4.0s. I have an '02 4 dr 4wd Explorer XLT with the 4.0, so i am assuming it will work for me. But what do the peeps with '03 explorers use?

Does the Ford master cam timing set (OTC 6489) work with this engine as well? And why is 2002 the cutoff? just checking my info to make the most worthwhile purchase.

So this cam timing kit is for 97 to 02 Ford 4.0s. I have an '02 4 dr 4wd Explorer XLT with the 4.0, so i am assuming it will work for me. But what do the peeps with '03 explorers use?

Does the Ford master cam timing set (OTC 6489) work with this engine as well? And why is 2002 the cutoff? just checking my info to make the most worthwhile purchase.

TTT ... That's a good question ... Surely someone on the Forums works at a Ford Dealership and knows the answer to this question.

Well, I got the OTC 6489. It seems to have everything the 6488 had and more. It also has the tools for the 2.0 Zetec timing belts that I already had. I guess I can put the old Zetec set on Craigslist. Cool.

Still wondering about that 2003 cutoff though. ?

Anyway, when my back is is better and I'm back to work and have some money again, I will start pulling out that engine.

Back