Overdrive gone.. I'm I the next tranny victim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive gone.. I'm I the next tranny victim?

Goober

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT4x4
Well, it lasted 191,872 miles, then I lost the overdrive. Question is, are the lower gears next or can I still drive this thing for a while longer. I did a search, checked the connections, vacuum hose, replaced the vacuum modulator(diaphram), fluid level is ok, but still no OD. Anything else I can try/check before looking into a total rebuild? Should I get it rebuilt before it messes up the other gears? Trade it in?

Any input will be appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the alternator tested recently?

If the voltage is off it won't shift to overdrive.

same thing happened to me at 194000 mi all it is are these two thingies(forgot the name) in the tranny u could replace them and maybe get a few thousand more mi out of it but if u have that many id say its time for a rebuild anyway

Just curious goober, how hard do you drive it? how many rpms? Sounds like that tranny lasted a long time!

Or you could be like me...my X didnt have OD when I got it, ive been driving it a year, about 18,000 miles so far, and aside from slightly worse gas milage (about 15-17 on the highway) and high RPMs on the highway, about 75mph @3500RPMs I havnt had any problems. I just find it hard to put a $1300 tranny into a $3000 truck, IMO....

I'll get the multimeter out and check, but the altenator seems fine. Worth a try anyways.

Originally posted by espnfreak
Just curious goober, how hard do you drive it? how many rpms? Sounds like that tranny lasted a long time!

I don't get crazy. Just driving to and from work (~75 miles@ 70 mph, round trip daily). With the OD gone the rpm are about 27-2800 going about 65. I guess I can't really complain, it has laster longer than a lot of others out there.

I will probably just try to drive it like it is for just a while longer(with luck like VairKing)...hoping it doesn't gernade.
The problem: put the $$$ into a 11 year old truck and drive it for a while longer and pray the motor holds up(it is original also sharing the 192,000 mile marker)...or sell it, buy something newer with lower miles and have a car payment.

...decisions, decisions,.....:confused:

any other thing to try?? anyone.. anyone..

Back