Overhead Rear HVAC illumination lights out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Rear HVAC illumination lights out

06MountaineerPA

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer Premier
Hi everyone, The rear overhead HVAC control lights are out and no longer illuminate the knobs. How do I get access to them and what size bulb do I need. Prefer to buy them ahead of time.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know the size (may be a #74) but to get at them you need to remove the overhead control pannel. I dont know on the mountaineer how to remove the pannel but after a quick search it may be two different ways. It may be held on by clips and you just need to pull down on them or there is a hidden screw and clips and you will need to find the screw. Your best bet is to remove the bulbs to take them to the store with you. Sometimes like my front heater knobs it was a 1/4 turn dash style bulb it was burnt out and i just tried pulling the bulb from the holder and found out it actually used a really small wedge base light bulb and a #74 worked even know it was a little bigger in size.

Mine are out as well, though it hasn't bothered me enough to pull the console to do a bulb size check..

Biggest gripe is the headlight switch illumination. I ordered an LED, but it's too big. Damn..

Mine are out as well, though it hasn't bothered me enough to pull the console to do a bulb size check..

Biggest gripe is the headlight switch illumination. I ordered an LED, but it's too big. Damn..
Yeah the headlight switch bulb sucks mine burns out at least once a year sometimes twice a year. Glad I had to order 10 replacements as a minimum order size at this rate i will have to place another order for more. The other bulb that is really annoying is the shifter illumation light that one gets replaced just about ever year and a half.

Yeah the headlight switch bulb sucks mine burns out at least once a year sometimes twice a year. Glad I had to order 10 replacements as a minimum order size at this rate i will have to place another order for more. The other bulb that is really annoying is the shifter illumation light that one gets replaced just about ever year and a half.
If you don't mind, what's your source for the switch illumination? I've looked at several sites and can't find one that seems to fit...
As well, my shifter light was out too when I bought mine, and I threw a bulb in it. Also had to gently squeeze the base, IIRC, it didn't have a tight enough fit and so it flickered. It's easy to find bulbs for though, again, that's if I recall correctly..

If you don't mind, what's your source for the switch illumination? I've looked at several sites and can't find one that seems to fit...
As well, my shifter light was out too when I bought mine, and I threw a bulb in it. Also had to gently squeeze the base, IIRC, it didn't have a tight enough fit and so it flickered. It's easy to find bulbs for though, again, that's if I recall correctly..
Jkllamps.com is where i got them.

P/n DNW1-EW33/30MM
you have to get a quote for them ( mine was $2.50 each min order of 10) and then had to fax in the order
I ordered them a few years ago and dont know if anything had chainged or if they are still in business
Here is a thread on bulbs and replacements
Headlight Switch Bcklight

To follow up on this, (and this is a personal experience, BTW) if you have the moon and/or sunroof, the overhead console simply snaps down and off...mine is like this, and I have the moonroof, or sunroof, whatever it's called.

I have read here that the non-sunroof Explorers/Mountys have an overhead console that is screwed in place. I can't verify that, as mine of course has the sunroof.

I put LEDs in place of the map lights, so that's how I know it simply is snapped into place.

I'll have to dig into it deeper to see what kind of bulb lights up the rear heater/ac controls. For instance, mine only lights up on the fan speed selection, not the temp knob. So either I have bigger problems, or else there's 2 (or more) bulbs and simply one is out.

I'll take a stab at it later. I have some other work to do to...apparently my year old aftermarket coil packs are bad...had a coolant hose burst last week. I sprayed a little water under the hood (controlled) to rinse some of the coolant away and I guess either the coolant or the water flubbed up a coil or two or four. Of course it had to be the passenger side...damn it. I still have the old ones (i think, and hope) so I'll swap 'em in and out and see if I can get that issue straightened out. The budget for new coils isn't available just yet, so I'll have to make do with what I have for a couple of weeks.

I'll update with my findings with regards to the overhead console temp control illumination, as well. Stay tuned!

I don't have a sun roof and there is one screw holding it up it's in the garage door opener compartment and two spring clips neer the windshield.

How do you get the headlight switch out? I just noticed that mine is out as well.

How do you get the headlight switch out? I just noticed that mine is out as well.
You need to remove the vent above it by pulling on the top half (down and out at the same time) it's just clipped in. Then reach in the vent hole and press down on the the two tabs holding the headlight switch and dimmer trim it will pot right out. once you have it out you may need some pliers or a flat blade screwdriver to get the bulb out other than removing the bulb no tools required. installation is reverse of what you just did.

Back