Status
Not open for further replies.

2'91fords

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer sport
Vehicle specs: 91 explorer sport auto 3.73 gears 2" susp lift 30" tires 150,000mi

I took my explorer onto the sand dunes last weekend and after about 20 min or so the temp started to climb (Outside temp was about 65f). It got up almost past the A on the stock temp gauge and i stopped. After letting it idle for a few minutes it returned to normal operating temp so i drove off and it warmed up again. when i drove off the sand and popped it out of 4 and drove on pavement it cooled down quick. it has never climed past the O during any freeway, street or fireroad driving ( i still have not done any serious wheeling with steep climbs or the need for 4low). The coolant is fresh and full, fan clutch seems to be working, fresh fluids and filters in everything, new belts and hoses. the rad cap is a 13lb, is this the correct cap? any ideas what it could be? possibly overheating trans? any info appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think what you described is normal. Driving on sand is not like driving on a dirt trail, sand is hard work for the truck. Ask about all the cooling the desert guys use...and their extra cooling is not JUSt because of the air temps...it's also because pushing sand is hard work.

We have sand by the Mississippi River, and my truck will heat up more on that sand than it will on a big hill on a log trail.

It is very normal in sandy conditions for your truck to run a bit hotter than usual. I drive my truck down on the loose sand of the beaches in Delaware when I am surffishing. I've also found that my truck runs abit hotter than normal but I suspect it caused by the sand.

Exactly as whats posted above. Also the a4ld does not like sand ive never over heated my engine but everytime ive played in the sand ive boiled my tranny fluid to the point its pouring out. But this was some pretty deep sand though.. Since then i installed a bigger cooler and a temp gauge so i can monitor the temps.. Since ive installed these things and rebuilded my tranny ive havent had any probs.. Ive had to pull over a few times and let the tranny cool down. But hey i would rather pull over for 15-20 mins then rebuild another tranny... Goodluck..Also you may have posted but i didnt see it.. Have you replaced the thermostat? Could be sticking? Just a thought.

na its the nature of sand. You bog down and out a load on the drivetrain, the result is heat.
There are many ways to fight heat if you plan to run in the sand often.

thanks for all the info! i have not yet changed the tstat but its on the list. i also have a trans temp gague and an xtra stock trans cooler that i was gonna add next to the original one for added cooling. if anyone here needs autometer gagues call up Fast Lane West Racing Products. ive been buying from them for years and they beat dealing with summit and the others. plus for all you 5.0 conversion guys they have svt aluminum heads on sale for $850. call Joe at (818)718-7050

You have two threads on this. Closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back