p a t s (anti theft) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p a t s (anti theft)

T

tashmore1

I have a 2000 ford explorer XLT it runs and drives reasonable except the PATS (anti theft) system acts up (the system is slow to clear). It takes about (10 seconds) after the key is turned to the ON position for the anti theft light to clear (go out) at this point it is safe to start the vehicle. If an attempt to start the vehicle before the 10sec. (system clear) the PATS system (anti theft light) flashes rapid and want allow the vehicle to start. At this point I have to wait 15 – 30 minutes before the system resets. I am looking for a quick inexpensive fix or to completely remove or bypass the system completely. Anybody have any information, how about a remote start module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Inspect the key code transmitter carefully, it's located next to the key cylinder. I had an issue that went away several years ago. I didn't know much about the system at the time, so I cannot say if anything was awry with my code transmitter etc.

If the key is randomly working or not sometimes(light flashes), I'd suspect that transmitter. I know that it's very fragile, but being inside the plastic cover of the column takes care of it. Maybe someone has been working around the steering column of your car?

It can be done, but you are defeating the reason of having the "Anti-theft" device. To do this you will destroy a key, but will gain the use of regular key as well as loss of theft protection. Think is twice...

If you look at the key, you will see the head have 2 layer of plastic. Remove the first layer with a pocket knife (careful not to damage the edge). Once the top layer is removed, you will the little black plastic "Micro-chip)being pressed into the key. Carefully remove that and glue it onto the ignition switch (will have to remove the ignition switch cover) where it will sense the key.

Do this at your own risk, where I would try to fix the issue first before going to this step.

Try another key if you have one, to ensure the
key's chip is not defective...

personally, i would completely disable PATS and be done with it.

but how do you do that

That can be done with any stock PCM, it just means programming out the PATS function. That requires a tuning device like the SCT flashers, plus a tuner to make the change in the program.

Back