p0171 strange problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p0171 strange problems

alaskajoe

Reaction score
ok soo my car starts up fine and idles ok but when i start driving it stutters almost violently and even stalls out sometimes, the speedometer also acts really funnny, when it runs smooth w no probs the speedometer runs fine. then i notice it stops working and immediatly the stuttering starts, almost makes it impossible to drive. tried cleaning the maf sensor and that didnt work. took it to schucks and used odb reader and p0171 popped up.
its a 99 explorer 5 spd. 4.0 engine. the stutter is real band in first and second gear not soo bad in 3rd and 4th. anyone maybe know what might be causing these strange problems????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds electrical to me. time to get out the volt meter imo

i thought so too, i never had an issue until i got a amp and speaker installed. took it back to where it was installed and said there was nothing they could do.

there it is, the amp and speaker! my radio guy sayes there is a connection between the radio and spedo, something about a little rewiring that has to be done, due to the extra draw on some system, ill see if i can get more details from him.

lol, almost started to think it wasnt related, so i posted a new thread, i hope i can fix this issue....

where did u have the install done? i know best buy is aware of the issue my guy works for them also. btw im gonna go over to his place right now and get more info on this, its not too far as we are neighbors lol

it was in fact best buy, they said they looked at the amp install and it was fine, so any issue my car has is mine not theirs.......sigh

ok just went over and woke him up :) he said to start with try a reset of your computer, then call your installer and ask them if they used a kit to install your equipment, if so let me know the kit # and manufacture, and see where they pulled power for the amp from, they should NOT have used the stock power supply as this can cause some major draw issues, also he said to check all of your fuses. that's all i got..... good luck

amp goes straight to battery, pulled neg cable to reset computer and checked my fuses, no kit was used for install, after i pulled bat cable my 4wd high and low lights started blinking.

try unhooking the amp from the batt and take a drive see if that clears it up, might help isolate the issue.

after clearing the computer it seems to have gone away, going to drive around abit to see if it happens again

kk hope that's it! if not let me know we will dig deeper into a wiring diagram and see what we can find.

Back