Paint Color mismatch?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint Color mismatch??

I have the Platinum white tri-coat and there are no colour variations between the body and the bumpers. The previous 3 Highlanders I had (2 metallic silver, 1 Sonora Gold Pearl) also did not exhibit any colour variances. I don't see why there should be any since the final paint coat I assume is applied over a primer coat so it isn't even in contact with any plastic.

Peter

Exactly my point. Thank you. A good primer coat and proper sanding if needed would negate what is below that surface. I think they are are just painted separately and thus do not match.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the “ole days” body shops had to add an additive to the paint if they were painting “flexible surfaces”, (aka “rubber ducky“) bumpers. This inevitably slightly changed the color of the paint. I can see it on some of my “older toys”. I wonder if that’s still the case ??? BTW, I see no mismatch on my ‘13 Limited white platinum tri-coat.

In the “ole days” body shops had to add an additive to the paint if they were painting “flexible surfaces”, (aka “rubber ducky“) bumpers. This inevitably slightly changed the color of the paint. I can see it on some of my “older toys”. I wonder if that’s still the case ??? BTW, I see no mismatch on my ‘13 Limited white platinum tri-coat.

Yes, they still use a bonding agent for plastic...however if done correctly they paint should match without variations in color.....

Obviously I started this post originally, I found many other vehicles that the color matched perfect, even with the same type of metallic white on other brands such as toyota, so I know its possible. However, despite my gripes about it, I was told its normal and nothing would be done about it....so good luck......I was told to look at it at a different angle and under different light.....it was like.....look, if you stand back 500 feet and look at it at a 185 degree angle, the paint matches

This is a normal condition on a new vehicle - the paint on plastic will not match the paint on the sheet metal. It adheres differently.

The cracking someone else mentioned is probably related to flex additive used in the painting of plastic parts, usually bumper covers. There is always the chance that this could happen whether it is a re-paint or not.

It is difficult to tell from your pics as to whether yours is in the normal range or not. Best of luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

I have a similar but different complaint. One side of my car is very smooth and the paint looks great, the other side, has that orange peel look. never noticed it at first, but when filling up my gas tank, especially in the bright sun, it's very noticeable...

Hi Ryan327.

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. Just send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Hey Ashley,

Thank you for your response. I have confidence that my dealer will be able to take care of the issue. I am a little concerned as he seems to take the approach that this is normal, but I told him I disagree and that I want it fixed. I hope that he takes care of it. If he doesnt I will certainly reach out to you. Thanks again for your concern. It is very much appreciated and gives me some more confidence in Ford's customer satisfaction.

No problem, Boostking! Just let me know if you need me. :)

Ashley

This is a normal condition on a new vehicle - the paint on plastic will not match the paint on the sheet metal. It adheres differently.

The cracking someone else mentioned is probably related to flex additive used in the painting of plastic parts, usually bumper covers. There is always the chance that this could happen whether it is a re-paint or not.

It is difficult to tell from your pics as to whether yours is in the normal range or not. Best of luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

This is absolutely correct. Metallic and Pearl paints especially silvers, golds and pearl whites will not match 100%. If you look at these cars and they have plastic handles, moldings, bumpers and so on they will be slightly off. I have worked at a collision repair shop for 12 years and when customers come in I always point out the mismatch before we do any paint work. most people never realized. if i didn't tell them up front they would assume we painted it the wrong color.

I have the platinum and there is a slight difference in colour betweent he bumpers and the vehicle. I must say the pics you posted look worse then mine do. I had to stare at it for awhile before i noticed mine. Also the gas cap cover..i figured it was different materials having a slight colour difference. Mine is barely noticeable now but i wonder over time if one material will fade quicker than another and it becoming more noticeable.

I wish I could show you all in person. I cant believe I didnt catch it earlier, but we picked the car up and night and as I said, my wife drives it most of the time. I hope the dealer can make it right. I cannot look at the front end without noticing the yellow bumper. If the difference was very very minimal difference that you could only tell in certain conditions then I wouldn't care, at this point its just a straight up different color and shade. It can be seen in dim light or direct sunlight. I hope they can fix it correctly. Maybe I should have just bought black!!!

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the replies!

It was sunny today and man i could tell the difference....let me know what ford says. thx

I had bought one of the shark fin antennas from Visual Garage for my ex. I believe they are molded plastic...I emailed him the order, emailed him the color code from the door jam sticker...waited about 2 weeks and when it arrived, I took it out to the vehicle....guess what....its an EXACT match to the METAL portions of the car. I put it up against the gas cap and the bumper and and looks mismatched to those areas. my GF has a 2012 metallic pearl white Toyota Prius....bumpers match exact to the rest of the car......

Just a quick follow up.

I drove down on Monday and dropped off the vehicle. Dealership agreed to repaint the front and rear bumpers (rear was off almost the same as the front) and fix the few other things I had issues with. He agreed that the paint was more off than he expected and showed me a few other brand new vehicles on the lot that had this flaw. Most of them were not as bad as mine. He and I agreed that we think the dealership paints the body separate of the bumpers and then they are put together. Certainly not a good way to do it especially with metallic paint. I should get to pick her up tomorrow or Friday. I hope they do a great job matching the paint. I will let you know how things go!

I hope it works out for you! In my experience, when it comes to paint, the cure is often worse than the ailment.

I hope it works out for you! In my experience, when it comes to paint, the cure is often worse than the ailment.

To put it nicely, they better get it right! :thumbsup:

Back