• Register Today It's free!

paint on rear latch

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
The black paint is wearing off on the latch where the tailgate locks down on...I assume that is normal. Why do they bother to paint it in the first place? I also noticed the rubber tube connecting the tailgate to the car is turning white. only had it a month now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours is painted, and I wondered the same thing. Why would you paint a part that is going to have that sort of mechanical action done to it? No paint in the world is going to withstand that sort of abuse.

So here is a picture of it... sorry for the bad cell phone quality. Dealer said it was normal to do this. I may take all the paint off, or leave it alone. I could also paint it, but it would probably come off. All the side doors are done the same way, except they don't seem to have the paint scratched off.

i-w5xCC8c-M.jpg

Also here is the white rubber I mentioned. Dealer asked Ford and they are refusing to fix it because you can't get it by itself...you have to get the entire wiring harness. And they claim since its cosmetic only, they won't fix it. Figures

i-f3wC2xQ-M.jpg

So here is a picture of it... sorry for the bad cell phone quality. Dealer said it was normal to do this. I may take all the paint off, or leave it alone. I could also paint it, but it would probably come off. All the side doors are done the same way, except they don't seem to have the paint scratched off.

Also here is the white rubber I mentioned. Dealer asked Ford and they are refusing to fix it because you can't get it by itself...you have to get the entire wiring harness. And they claim since its cosmetic only, they won't fix it. Figures
Correction to my previous post which I deleted. Mine also appears to be painted and there are a few places where it has come off due to the latching process. Completely normal as I see it.
As for the white rubber collar, mine is black and no transfer of colour at all.
Not sure why they chose to put a white one on yours. :dunno:

Peter

Most cars have those things painted. It depends on if the part was already attached to the body when it went for paint at the factory. Also it looks "pretty" when its brand new sitting on a dealers lot. Its all about fit and finish and consumer perceptions at that point. Everything from my 01 Sport Trac to our top of the line Enclave have painted door jams where the paint has worn off.

I just noticed the white collar on my Ex when I was washing it on Sat. It kind of looks like it is dried out and corroded but I think that it is just some kind of paint or coating.

I think it is some kind of protective coating on the rubber.

I fixed the white collar... I used some all pupose cleaner I had for the car and scrubed until all the white was gone. Then I followed up with some back-to-black rubber dye. It matches the rest of the rubber parts now.

I also put some industrial black paint on the latch. I am just curious to see how long it will last. I probably won't bother to put any more on there... and may even take it all off down to the metal

Just an update that is has been several weeks since I pained it and the paint has not come off...it is holding up well. I think Ford just needs to use thicker or better quality paint on the latch and they wouldn't have an issue

Back