Paint problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint problems

I have a 1997 Explorer where the paint is coming off of the roof in flakes and I mean big flakes. I have so far been able to use touch up paint, but it is starting to become too much work to keep up.

Would it be to my best benefit to have the whole rig repainted? It would be nice to have a nice new paint job :D . And, would you keep the same color or go with something different? The truck is white now, but I been thinking maybe either black or maroon. Both would look good with the gray interior.

Thanks for all input!

Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder why the paint is chipping. A 97 isn't that old, but I guess it depends on where you are, how much sun a truck gets and so on. Anyway, since it is the top - I would try and scrape the paint until it doesn't want to chip aymore. Then look at what you have, see if it goes down the side or anywhere else that it'll be more noticeable. If it's a huge area - I would consider repainting. If it isn't that big and just on the top - take it to a body shop and have them resurface the top and paint it the origional color. If you want to go ahead and repaint the whole truck - go ahead, I'm sure you'll like it a lot better than just having a new paint job on the top ;)

-Drew

ihave a 96 and the paint is starting to chip of the bottom half of the doors.

has there been any kinds of recalls on the 2nd gen paint

Keep the origional color to save time/money on a repaint. If it is isolated to the hood you can repaint the hood. If you have a place you can paint it yourself. I did mine last year and was very pleased with the results.

I have a 97 dodge ram that had silver paint on it that was pealing off. Well I just had it repainted by a friend of mine at a body shop he didnt charge me anything because my shop sponsers his race car but he said it would have been 1100 dollars off the street so im guessing it would be in that ball park price range to get your truck repainted entirely

All over paint jobs done right are very costly. Think $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 done right.
Changing the color doubles or more that amount

I painted mine last year. We used the same color , base coat and clear coat, paint and supplies were about $400. It took just over 20 hours at $50/hour that is about $1500. So I am told body shops don't like to do paint jobs because they make better money on collision repair.

unclemeat said:
I am told body shops don't like to do paint jobs because they make better money on collision repair.

Yup, that is true.

Back