• Register Today It's free!

paint survey

slow-demon

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl sport
Hows you paint on the earlier explorers like '91-'94's. My '91 explorer's factory paint has a massive case of paint peel. It all started from a small spot and spread all over. Sort of like a cancer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The paint on my '93 is holding up great, and I'm not exactly, um, fastidious with waxing it. I do remember my high school Latin teacher had a '94 and after two years, the paint started to peel, just like yours. It started on the roof and hood and spread to the rest of the truck. The dealer was most not helpful with her predicament and she ended up getting a Cherokee.

I forgot to mention: we both have the same color (Forest Green Metallic or whatever it is. I can look it up next time I'm home from school).

[Edited by FlyAU on 09-18-2000 at 09:55 PM]

I think it depends on the color. I have the green and it is holding up wee, except for all the tree marks that looks like someone ran a whith crayon down it. But I have seen alot of the black and the darker green explores w/ major paint peel. Ford says they have a ten year paint and body warranty, see if it works.

That whole color thought sounds right...I bought my 91 used and I don't know where it came from, I was told near me...But who knows...On the hood and the roof I had a few light spots where the clearcoat started to peel off...I've got a dark grey...Luckly when I was in my senior year in high school, I got into a class that works in conjunction with our local community college...Here, I repainted my truck, and being the first time I had painted, it's pretty good...I went so far as even welding in new panels...But I've also got some more of that near the front of the rear wheel, so that's gonna take alot of work...Oh well, I guess that is what I get...I'll live though....Pete

91 Blue/Tan EB - I live in NY, not Florida, yet my paint is oxidizing. It started on the roof and has since taken a little spot on my hood. I do have the rusted rockers.

Mine came factory with the two-tone ( no not Tommy -- see how many people get that one, call 867-5309 ) silver and red. The red was fine, silver was almost gone(hood, roof). I tried in vain, citing examples from the web of owners getting it painted by Ford on a 'customer satisfaction' basis, many references of this occuring on that model year( and others), calling Ford hotline,..etc..you get the point. I had discussed this with Ford dealership management, the disrtict rep,... all with the same line. 'No recall has ever been issued and those who got theirs repainted for minimal cost or free were special cases'. I showed them the numerous printout( about 200 pages ) and still got me nowhere. I finally just faced the fact if it were going to be painted, I would be the one to get it done. I bit the bullet and now have a truck that looks great and has a lifetime warranty on the paint.

Unless your in tight with someone at a dealership, your probably SOL.

Goober---Tommy Tutone-867-5309 Jenny the song...I got ya on that one!
Pete

'93 Sport with burgundy color. Paint on the whole truck is great except for the hood. It's not peeling or fading, but has hundreds of little slits throught out the whole hood. It's pass the clearcoat, you can feel it with your fingers. Could it be the heat from the engine that's doing this? Anyone else have this problem.

93 Sport

93Sport
I have the same color i think burgundy , looks a little purple also, Same thing my paint is great looks like new except for the hood. I mean i seriously have put about eaisly 40 cotes of maguires clear coat wax on it with in the last year but its unbelivable it looks new. The only thing is the hood i'm really crazy about keeping the truck looking good so i went to maco a local auto paint shop and asked them they said, exactly what you did its from the engin getting so hot and theirs not much you can do to it because on parts the clear cote is gone, well i think i'm going to try a few more things then go back and get the hood re-painted. Maybe a cowl hood but anyway i have the same problem as you , any luck

sorry i cant type to good

You say local paint shot MACO..you mean macco or maaco? Like the chain or car painting shops?
Pete

i have a white 94 limited and the paint on mine is fine except for the Colorado pin stripping along the sides. I have no rust and not peeling paint. I did buy it in Southern California and i believe that i had been in SoCal it whole life until i brought it here to Co. for school.

I have a 92 in the candy-apple red color (I believe it was called "Wild Strawberry." I had the clearcoat start to peel off on the hood and the roof back in '96. I was fortunate enough to get Ford to repaint it (to this day I'm not exactly sure how I did that), and it still looks brand new. Better than new, now that I'm using Zaino :).

Mike

Missing Paint!

My (green) 1992 XLT 4x4 has the paint problem. Around the roof channels, and the top edge of the 5th door.
It's a factory paint problem! Admit it, FORD!!!

Shorty
1992 XLT 4x4

Mike 92 XLT, you must be one of the lucky fellas to have a paint job paid for by FORD. I also tried asking the FORD representative but got nowhere. They said I didn't take care of the paint. Funny thing the left side of my truck was involved in a fender bender when only a couple of months old way back in 1991. The body shop painted the left side. And now it's the only side that looks new. If you look at the left side the paint looks great but as soon as you look at the right side you will see the paint peel. If I didn't take care of the paint then why is the side with FORD original paint only peeling. I guess I will bite the bullet and get a paint job.

Can anyone tell me what a good custom paint job would cost on one of our explorers.

Paint Peeling

My 93 (Midnight Blue color) is peeling a bit at the top of the 5th door and in 2 spots (about 2 inch diameter) on the roof. It's been washed, waxed and polished regularly all these years, but still it is peeling. Also, the roof racks are peeling and the paint on the wiper arms is almost gone and the black on the side mirrors is faded.

Overall though it is not a real big problem, I'm just picky; I notice it because I hand wax it about once a month.

My 91 is fadding bad. The clearcoat is almost gone. I guess that is what I get for haveing a black explorer in Albuquerque, NM. O'well

My paint on my 91 is perfect, except for a few scratches. It is the factory two-tone brown. No fading, chipping, or the clear coat peeling. When I tell people it is a 91 they can hardly believe it. I wax it maybe 2 times a year.

I wish I could say the same thing. I have learned one thing though. Never buy a black car in new mexico! Hey Brian, The paint does look really good, I was supriesed when I first say it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PhxExplorer
Can anyone tell me what a good custom paint job would cost on one of our explorers.

Since the paint was so messed up, as I'm sure most that get total paint jobs are, it cost a little more for labor to sand it all the way down. Using Siemens paint ( 87 BMW smoke grey )which includes a lifetime warranty cost me $1200 to get it repainted all over. I even had them replace the door bumper strips for a little more and then they pinstriped it for free after letting me pick out the color. I know there are places that will paint it cheaper, but I know the quality of this shop and they stand behind their work 100%. Including a free rental car should the paint need to be redone due to any warranty specification failing.

Save up and get it done right the first time. It will cost you less in the long run.

Back