painted my grill shell... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

painted my grill shell...

hey guys so i painted my grill shell on my 99 ex, from chrome to black to match the truck, now my poaint booth is backed up with bike parts and i didnt have any black paint layin around to use, so this is what i did, i hit it with some 800 gt, sprayed some plastic prep down wiped it, taped off my billet grill, and sparyed some gloss black "rust oleaum" paint, looks good still alil taky, but i put it on the truck and wow looks great, what do u guys think? will it last a while or just flack right off, this really was just an im bored so lets paint thing lol iv seen complete black grills on ebay for around 50$ so no big deal....

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
TTIUWP. It really depends on how well the prep work was done.

99-5.0explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 5.0 AWD "SVT"
there was no shiny chrome when i got done so?? like i said if it doesnt last ill spray it in my booth with the proper paint etc.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Post some pics.

The paint might not hold up well without removing the "chrome".

I painted mine quite a while ago. I removed all of the chrome prior to painting; it has helf up well for years now.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 283
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 281

99-5.0explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 5.0 AWD "SVT"
how did u remove all the chrome? with out burnin to far into the plastic?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Al I love that look.

It is like a Stealth Bomber