Painted Pillar Trim | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Pillar Trim

Doomstang, do you have any pics of the stuff you painted?

I was thinking about asking about this! Thanks So Much! Would you mind showing the bolts for the side panels?

I haven't done the side panels yet. Waiting for the weather to improve. If I think of it, I'll snap some pics for you.

I keep reading, I keep finding new projects I'll be doing myself. AWESOME! Thanks

Pretty simple. As with any painting project, be patient!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doomstang, do you have any pics of the stuff you painted?

I don't have any close up pictures of before/during/after right now. I can tell you that the top half of each panel was flat black, then it was almost checkboard gloss/flat, and then the bottom was gloss lol. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I may go clean up the car and snap a few pics with my Evo. If I do that I'll take some closer up pics of the panels so you can see what it looks like now.

Thanks. :D

Ok here are the pics I took today. You can see those pillars in several of the shots

Looks really nice!

I too will be doing this when it gets warm...those fading pillars make the truck look so ugly.

Hey BigRondo! I'm doing all my trim pieces this week and was wondering how yours have been holding up... I was also wondering what kind of wax you used on them?

I'm also doing this sometime this week

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274644

Do you think the same Krylon fusion would work for this too?

Thanks!

Hey BigRondo! I'm doing all my trim pieces this week and was wondering how yours have been holding up... I was also wondering what kind of wax you used on them?

I'm also doing this sometime this week

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274644

Do you think the same Krylon fusion would work for this too?

Thanks!

They are holding up great!! As far as the wax, I use whatever I am waxing the Ex with and do it by hand!!

Fusion is for plastic, so I guess it would work for the inside of the headlights. Check this out for doing up the headlights: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304663

Good luck! :D

Did you ever get pics taken on how to get those trim panels off the doors? Or know how to? I don't want to break them trying to get them off.....

Did you ever get pics taken on how to get those trim panels off the doors? Or know how to? I don't want to break them trying to get them off.....

Never did, but If I remember tomorrow, I'll post some up.

Thanks man. I'm looking to do it on Monday.... I'll post pics up when I do...

Roger that. :salute:

x2. I moved the inside door molding around, but didnt see any obvious screws. I didnt remove it all the way incase I am pulling back the wrong thing.

Thanks for the help Rondo.

x2. I moved the inside door molding around, but didnt see any obvious screws. I didnt remove it all the way incase I am pulling back the wrong thing.

Thanks for the help Rondo.

Sorry guys. I keep forgetting to do this. I am going out to take some other pics and will take some of the door pillar removal. I promise.

Come on Rondo, GET IT TOGETHER!!!! [sarcasm] :chug:

Here we go!

This is the front passenger door. I know the driver door is the same except if you have the keypad, then you have to deal with that. The rear doors should be the same. I haven't removed the pillars, so I can't tell you what to do after the screws are removed. I investigated the screws, but ran out of time due to the winter so I never got the door pillars done. Enough chit-chat!

Make sure the window is in the fully down position. Start at the bottom, indicated by the yellow arrow and pull the weatherstripping in the direction of the red arrows. Work your way to the top of the door. It comes out & goes in pretty easy:

DoorPillarTrimWeatherstrippingCustom.jpg

There are four screws holding the pillar in, indicated by the red arrows. You can't see the bottom one in the picture, but it's there! Be very careful taking the screws out, you don't want to drop them in the door. Maybe use a magnetic screwdriver:

DoorPillarTrimScrewAccessCustom.jpg

I hope this helps out!

Thanks Rondo. I was mistakenley looking around the softer rubber seal.

Now if it will just jet warm outside so I can start my projects........

Thanks Rondo. I was mistakenley looking around the softer rubber seal.

Now if it will just jet warm outside so I can start my projects........

No problem. I know what you mean. I would've taken better pictures but my hands were getting pretty cold. I'm ready for spring!!

This is a great writeup BigRondo. I can't tell you how many times I looked at this thread before attempting this.

I spent last Friday afternoon knocking it out. Used a can and a quarter of paint some gloss. I removed the side pillars because I remembered someone mentioned how to somewhere on this forum. I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear pillars. They look like they're riveted on. So I left those two on and masked like hell around them.

Before:
IMAG0416.jpg

After:
IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks really good. :eek: Yeah the rear pillars are riveted on and easy to mask off. What paint did you use?

Back