Painting 3rd Gen Sport Plastic Body Panels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting 3rd Gen Sport Plastic Body Panels

FLExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Port Charlotte, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I can say I'm glad I found this forum and registered today. If anyone has done or is looking into painting there grey platic body panels I'm curious about a few things. Price of course and the quality/durability of painting the plastic parts. My 01 Sport is in the metallic teal colr and I would like to do the same on the plastic parts. Any info would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This should be in the body work and detail dept.
Any way, most shops will want to remove the panels to paint them. That will get costly fast.
If you remove them your self that will make a HUGE savings.
I do the work but I don't price the stuff, I would guess, less than $500.00 all said and done if you remove them your self.
Call a hand full of body shops in your area and tell them you will remove them your self.

I was planning on the removal, my only concern is the quality of the finish seeing as it will be on plastic parts. I don't want to be looking at an "orange peel". Anyhow local ford dealer did a pretty good job putting my wifes Altima back together (Damn FL Snowbirds), guess I should check 'em out.

It will turn out fine if done right.
Call some high end dealerships.
Lexus, BMW, Mercades. Ask them who does their collision reapir and give them a call.

Places that service those cars cater to a more discriminating cleintel and generally will yield better results. Ask about their warrenty on the paint too.

i was curious about this too. i'm not crazy about the gray panels on my '02 sport. the car is a light gold color, and i'm having trouble figuring out what color would look good on the panels. i really need to post pics...

You'll probably have to sand down those panels to get the paint to adhere to the mouldings.

Even then, the paint likely won't last as long as the rest of your rig.

I tried to have a similar operation done on my old VW GTI, and the shop wouldn't warranty the paint job cuz they said they knew for sure it wouldn't keep very well over time.

"BM" did this on his 01 sport..look's REALLY good

Back