Painting over chrome.. bumpr & grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting over chrome.. bumpr & grille

Hi everyone

I have an explorer sport I am picking up tomorrow and I am wondering if painting the grille and the bumper black is possible for a body shop to do (from chrome to black) or do they have to get a different grille and bumper. (not sure if you can paint over chrome)

Have a look at what I want to do (my own website)
http://jimwww.com/vehicles/explorersport/

I also would not be scared to do it myself if I knew how.

I appreciate any advice.

Free wallypaper I created there if you want it (second gen) :cool:

The chrome will need to be stripped. If you don't strip it the paint will not adhear.

The grill would be easy to do yourself. You will want to remove it. After you remove it soak it good with Castorl Super Clean & let it set awhile. It will take the chrome off the plastic.

After you get the chrome off sand, primer and paint.

What about the chrome on the bumper?? Can I torch it off or is sanding the best way to prep it for paint??

What about the chrome on the bumper?? Can I torch it off or is sanding the best way to prep it for paint??

i'm spraying my bumpers this weekend so i'll post some pictures of how it goes. i've all ready done the headlight trim and grill, just got to get the bumper finished.

it all really depends on how good you want it to look, you can scuff the chrome and spray some light coats on it. down the road it might chip, might not. or you coudl completely sand the chrome down and do it how a body shop would.

all depends on what you want. i personally don't mind if it chips a litte, cause i can just take the can of color and touch it up every now and again.

Back