Looking for Opinions on Painting Over Chrome | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking for Opinions on Painting Over Chrome

Afrojoe1449

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Despite my X recently taking some abuse, I'm hoping to clean her up a little and maybe do some paint work as well. The big decision I'm wondering about is weither or not I should paint my chrome bumpers and trim black.
8bOqxL1.jpg

I like the look of the black wheels, but I like the chrome accents and am worried about it being to dark and looking weird if I black out the chrome.
bUVQjNs.jpg

The hood paint is terrible but I might address that later. It is there to cover deep scratches and hide the primer that it exposed.
zpbc8vH.jpg

This peeling is the main reason I'm considering going black on all the chrome. I don't want to buy a new grill. I'm afraid a spray can chrome won't look good. But I'm not sure how black would look either. So I'm hoping for opinions and thoughts. How do you think black would look instead of chrome on my X? I know it all depends on the person, but opinions are still nice. PS. I plan to get rid of the side steps. They're rusting and the passenger one is bent.

Pictures for Explorerforum

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I think the black grille would look better than the peeling chrome grille. It would match your black rims. Not too sure about the bumpers. If you lightly sand all the chrome, it takes paint very well. Maybe just Plastidip the bumpers and see if you like it.

<

Ethan Caraway

Reaction score
City, State
Kearney, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
5.0 AWD
Personally I would paint the grill to match the wheels, then keep the chrome bumpers and get chrome center caps on the wheels.

<

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I painted my chrome bumper black, I just sanded it first, and spraycanned it flat black. It’s been a few years and looks the same now as then.

<

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Spray can chrome is junk. It's just silver from what I have tried.

Here is my Limited grill, painted satin black...

index.php

<

<