Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
I need to paint my roof rack side rails and cross rails. I have never painted aluminium before so I welcome any and all suggestions for prep, paint, etc.

Thanks - Rondo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sand it lightly with a 400 paper till smooth,,
wash it with soap and water and let dry real good,
clean it with a wax and grease remover,
coat lightly with several coats until it is a nice constant colour,
put back on rig,,

enjoy,,

other than the previous advise given, i'd use Duplicolor low gloss/semi flat engine enamel. it's tough enough for an engine it should last on a roof rack. as long as it's clean, i find aluminum is easier than steel to paint. i usually clean it with brake cleaner and a lint free towel. one trick i use to make sure there's no dust/lint left behind is to hit it with my hand-held torch before painting.

Sand lightly, clean with paint thinner, several light coats... You could spray a primer on there which would make the paint stick better...

Thanks guys. Sounds like something I should be able to handle, but only time will tell. :D

I would suggest priming the aluminum parts with zinc chromate self etching primer and platic paint primer for plastic screw covers. Then use a flat or semi gloss automotive grade paint. The primer will help keep the paint on the aluminum. High temp paint will probably work better since the black will get really hot in the sun.

I would suggest priming the aluminum parts with zinc chromate self etching primer and platic paint primer for plastic screw covers. Then use a flat or semi gloss automotive grade paint. The primer will help keep the paint on the aluminum. High temp paint will probably work better since the black will get really hot in the sun.

Thanks for the tips. :salute:

Back