Painting the interior - removing texture in plastic, ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting the interior - removing texture in plastic, ideas?

Well, I got word that my uncle has just gotten a new (better) spray gun and compressor just for it, and he's painted quite a few boats of ours already, and with the daily dirtiness of what's happening to my interior, cleaners aren't just doing it anymore. At the very least, the bezel housing the tv, all the console pieces and such will be sprayed for sure, but I want more. I know Phoneix Imaging "sandblasts" the pieces to get them ultra-smooth.

My question is, how can I do this within reasoning in my garage? I got access to loads of supplies (father is general contractor) plus my families stashes, you'd be amazed. I want to remove all the roughness (otherwise known as texture) from certain interior pieces, and if this works, I just might do a coat after a shot of clear with some designs.

I just REALLY need to clean up these panels inside, and everything will most likely just be painted some common gloss black, they all match the Black Ebony on the truck anyways, and I'm no perfectionist, but I probably could get it matched for cheap at a local mixer or something.

Advice? Thanks. This is more of a cleanup than anything, the wear is showing. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could always do a thin thin layer of body filler and then sand it down ultra smooth.

i sprayed them with "quicksand" polyester body filler spray then sanded with 100 grit, 180 grit and 220 grit.

Attachments

• HPIM0081.JPG
    HPIM0081.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 269

nweibley said:
You could always do a thin thin layer of body filler and then sand it down ultra smooth.

That will crack.

Your only reasonable bet is filler primer and sand paper

expo5.0 said:
"quicksand" polyester body filler spray

Where do you pick some of that up at?

have to order it over the phone. i don't think any local places would have it.

do a internet search for it or something, i don't remember where i ordered it from but the catalog is downstairs in my garage if you can't find it anywhere. it works very well for this type of stuff, and even better for finishing fiberglass projects.

I think we have a winner then. :p Gonna try and look this up tomorrow and possibly order some. Thanks much drew, sure as hell don't want this stuff cracking on me, as the saying goes, "check twice, cut once". =)

Can't seem to find this **** online, at least from the first 5 pages or so from Google - If you can, shoot over that catalog, prices and a phone number. :D

Back