Painting the interior... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting the interior...

I read a thread a while back about painting the interior vinyl so I went ahead and bought some black vinyl paint and did my door panels and stuff. They look great and the paint works wonderfully but I was wondering if it would work on leather? Has anyone tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking truck!! I like the outlet and lightbox in the cargo area. Did you install a power inverter? Also that separate fuse panel is awesome. I'll take any details you can offer as to how to go about installing these things. Yeah you guessed it!! I'm pretty un-informed when it comes to vehicle electronics!!

off the topic...

I will start another thread and do a writeup on this stuff and send it to you just so I don't get too off topic here. And thanks!

Originally posted by mgv366
Nice looking truck!! I like the outlet and lightbox in the cargo area. Did you install a power inverter? Also that separate fuse panel is awesome. I'll take any details you can offer as to how to go about installing these things. Yeah you guessed it!! I'm pretty un-informed when it comes to vehicle electronics!!

Take a look at Dead Link Removed for an inverter thread.

Good luck.....

i would also like to know if the vinyl paint will work on leather...

I don't think it will due to the amount of movement in the material. Just a hunch though.

If I remember correctly, leather furniture can be stained/painted to change color.

"VHT Penetrating Color Dye for vinyl and carpeting is a one-step process that restores or changes the color of vinyl or short nap carpeting found in today's boats, watercraft and automobiles.

It is ideal for use on stiff or pliable vinyl, simulated leather and plastic. VHT Penetrating Color Dye is not a paint but a true dye which permanently changes the color of the substrate.

It is extremely resistant to cracking or fading. Ideal for use on auto interiors, motor-cycle seats, boat interiors, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, household and office furniture."
Dead Link Removed

...or you could use shoe leather cream polish if you are trying to go darker in color.

do you have any pics of your painted door panels?

i dont think paint would work on leather....at least if you are thinking of painting your seats, cuz it seems like there is way too much flexibility in them, and the paint would chip off.

i want to see pics and full write up of this stuff. i may be very interested in trying this in my truck.

I'm with drew, i wanna see some pics, sounds tight!

will do...

I will have some pics up this afternoon of the door panels... Thanks everyone for the props! :thumbsup:

As requested...

Sorry, I didn't armorall them for you all but here they are:

7018Front-Driver.jpg

7018Front-Pass.jpg

7018Rear-Driver.jpg

7018Rear-Pass.jpg

Man looks nice. I wanna do that to my explorer. I think a totally complete black interior would rock. Being that the X is hot already, it really gets hot in the summer, figure it cant get any worse.

Blackout Blackbox...

Slowly, I am working towards having most of the interior black but I am a little hesitant about doing my leather seats. Next I am going to do the armrests and the center console then the rear headrests. I may order a carpet kit from summit racing for my truck too. If anyone has done leather, please let us know.

Oh my, I must do this. What is the name of the product you used?

that looks great. i want the product name too. there is way too much green in my interior. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW... Im afraid that you started a great trend, and let me be the first to say, "I dont want to copy you" I just like what ya did and I think it woudl be cool to touch up parts of my own ex... (Im a first gen, so dont worry about being the same lol) K, just wanted to get that out before my guilty consience didnt get you credit for being to first to get out there and try it... lol
--bryan

Back