• Register Today It's free!

parking brake woes

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi all, been a long time since I posted here! Guess the X has been running too well. ;)
But I'm back to my old ways and I have some questions. My parking brake handle snapped this weekend and the assembly is still very much functional as some of the threaded plastic remained, but the majority of the handle has been broken off. It looks like it is just threaded, is there a part number or is it much easier to jerry-rig something? I did a search and someone on the board used Cable clamps and a headless bolt but I couldn't quite follow the logic behind their use. Any recommendations guys???

anybody??? I just called the stealership and they said the whole assembly needed to be removed and a new one installed. Of course, the new assembly is about $150!!! I'm thinking the jerry rig might just work, but I'm not quite sure I follow what others have done to fix it. Any suggestions???

Maybe hitting up the local junk yards will yield a replacement handle

That's what I was hoping too. I went there this afternoon and they told me they have only 1 explorer with a tan interior (go figure) and to try a junkyard about 40 miles from my location. He even admitted though that the entire assembly would have to be removed.

Back