Part. nos needed for complete cam tensioner fix. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Part. nos needed for complete cam tensioner fix.

NOVICOUPE

Reaction score
City, State
Garrett IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My wifes X took a dump and she wants it fixed.We already had the retro kit put in it but i think we waited too long.It was fine for some time and all of the sudden it started to get noisy again.Well one day when she was coming home from work it got really bad and the oil pres.gauge would not read anything at idle even after a 20 mi. drive.It would only read normal when you would rev it and it sounded about 3 times louder than my powerstroke.Can anyone list the part no.s I need to fix the cam tensioners and timing chain tensioner and everything I need to do the job.I have a guy that is a ASE Ford mech. that will be able to help me with any trouble I have and I am pretty sure I can get the special tools for the job.I need to get part no. so I can price everything to see if it is worth saving.Ex has 165,000mi. on it now but my wife really wants it fixed it it is not to awful bad.So any part no's and description of parts included will help and also if anyone can list everything I need as far as parts go I will need.Thanks in advance Chip Gunion

There are several very good threads here about the "cam cassettes tensioners", many with pictures and part numbers. Search through and read those well.

The parts in general if the engine isn't blown(oil pressure, bent valves etc.) will not be bad at all. I spent less than $200 on mine, plus the tool kit($150ish). With what you had happen though you should definately plan for an oil pump, and that is near $90.

If you have no real engine damage, then you might get lucky by dropping and cleaning out the pan, pickup, and doing the front valve chain parts. Ask your friend about removing both oil pans, it isn't a simple task.

Do you have any idea if any noise was coming from the rear? If the rear cam chain was also involved, plus the 165k miles you have, pulling the engine to do those also would be smart. The actual cam cassettes are only about $60, that oil pump will be the most expensive part. Hopefully nothing else in the engine is hurt. Good luck,

re

Thanks for the reply.I have read though most of the threads the part no's are kind of spread out though.Someone needs to sticky the part no's since this is such a common problem.I dropped the lower pan and cleaned out the plastic parts I found in the pickup.I need to tear into the thing to see exactly what needs replaced.I am just trying to see if it is worth saving.With 165,000 mi. I was thinking of just getting my wife a newer EX.No noise from backall from the front and seemed most from driver's side.I was hoping someone like you replied I saw you posted a lot in the threads I read.Thanks Chip(NOVICOUPE)

As I said, hopefully the bearings etc. didn't lose oil completely, and hopefully none of the debris got into any passages. If so, then the engine could easily go another 75,000 miles if cared well for. I would change the oil pump though for sure, you don't have any idea of what did get to it and beyond. You are looking for clues as to how much is damaged.

Other members here did find part numbers which were for sets of parts. I bought mine all individually, not knowing that there were any groups to get with one part number.

Back