Partial seat swap PIU to Base | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Partial seat swap PIU to Base

FordGuy78

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer - Base
Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster!

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything exactly on point. I have a 2018 base Explorer with 12,000 miles on it. The other day I noticed that the driver's seat back is starting to split at the stitching on the right side about five inches up. I've determined that this is being caused by my duty belt from driving to and from the PD three days a week, specifically the side of my holster.

We have a PIU in the detective bureau so I hopped in and noticed that the driver's seat is definitely different - the sides don't "flare" up and frankly it's a lot more comfortable when wearing a duty belt.

Question: is it possible to swap the seat back cushion and cover with the PIU versions? I've found the PIU parts using the Tasca search based on a 2018 PIU VIN I found online. Total for these two parts would be about $400 which is pricey given what they actually (cloth and a piece of foam) are but I'm willing to spend that.

Unfortunately it's not clear if the frame and other associated parts have to be replaced too, which would quickly throw it north of a $1000 which is outside my price range. I'm not interested in getting a whole seat assembly from a wreck given the airbags and the potential for hidden damage on these parts.

Thanks in advance!

Just find a set of piu seats and install them you can pick them up cheap probably from a few members on here who. Have swapped out for regular model leather seats. I know I did I junked my piu seats as soon as I got mine

Back