Passenger electric window issues on a 1996 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger electric window issues on a 1996 Explorer.

MUL8KC

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I had the master switch and motor replaced in the drivers door last year at great expense. Now the passenger window has failed in the down position. I've read the excellent threads on motor repair/replacement.

My problem seems to be the switch as I can't hear the motor try to work, there was never any intermitent performance failures and I can't get the window to go up even with me pushing up on the window while engaging the switch.

Since the master switch is new and it doesn't have any affect either...does the master switch circuit feed through the passenger door switch?

Thanks for any help. I'm enthused to find this forum as I use the '96 as my 3rd vehicle and to haul small loads. Can't keep putting much money in it though.

MUL8KC

If all your other windows work, the motor is bad or it is not receiving power. If loss of power is the problem, you must determine at which point power is lost. The simplest way to narrow down the problem is to see if power is getting to the motor when the switch is activated. You will have to remove the door panel. Once it is off, with the ignition on, see if there is power coming to the switch in the red wire with the light blue stripe. If you do not, trace that wire back into the interior of the car to see where it is broken. If you have power, when you activate the switch in one direction there will be power to the white/yellow wire. If you activate the switch in the opposite direction power should go to the tan/light blue wire. If these tests check out, the motor is probably bad. The motor should have two wires going to it. If you can run two wires directly from the battery you can test the motor. Momentarily touch two wires to the motor wires and see waht happens. If you reverse the two wires, the motor should run in the opposite direction. If the motor doesn't respond to this direct power feed, it has to be replaced.

Electric window switch

Thanks for the proper reposting BrooklynBay.

Firepop5 thanks for the troubleshooting power lesson. I'll do that.

MUL8KC

Back