• Register Today It's free!

PATS key - Odd question

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have 2 Explorers that both use the same style PATS key. I would like to get an additional key for each vehicle. (here comes the odd part0

Several years ago, my grandparents had a business that required a small fleet of 4-5 delivery vans. My grandfather was a master-mechanic and would usually buy old Ford vans for ~$500, fix them up a bit and have a decent delivery van.

Anyway, he would have the Ford keys cut so that one side of the key would work van#1 and the other side would work van#2, because although the Ford keys were double-sided, the locks/ignition tumblers would only read one side. Is this still the case? Can I do the same thing with my Explorer keys? (buy one blank and have one side cut for each of my Explorers and program each vehicle's PATS unit to accept the new key.)

Thank you. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. You would at least be able to open the doors.

I don't think you program the PATS unit to the keys, but the keys to the PATS unit. It's my understanding that the PATS module is what has the unique code and unless you were to duplicate that in both trucks it would not work.

I could be wrong though.

spta97 said:
I don't think you program the PATS unit to the keys, but the keys to the PATS unit. It's my understanding that the PATS module is what has the unique code and unless you were to duplicate that in both trucks it would not work.

I could be wrong though.

You are correct.

The PATS module can be programed to accept up to 9 different keys. In theory, cutting a key for two different locks/ignitions and programming the modules would work, but I don't know of anyone that's done it yet.

The keys are produced with unique digital coding chips (there are several million code possibilities), that are picked up by an antenna around the ignition switch when the PATS module is programmed.

Back