• Register Today It's free!

pats

screaming

Reaction score
City, State
flowery branch ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
Hi I guess most of you kinda figured with a name like screaming that I am a woman, well your right. I am a 58 year old woman who works on cars just to see if I can get them to work. I have a 2002 ford explorer that I am trying to take the pats out of. Someone put an after market theft system in this ford and it has caused me all kinds of problems. So guys is it possible to take a pats completely out of this ford? If it can be done how do I do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I guess most of you kinda figured with a name like screaming that I am a woman, well your right. I am a 58 year old woman who works on cars just to see if I can get them to work. I have a 2002 ford explorer that I am trying to take the pats out of. Someone put an after market theft system in this ford and it has caused me all kinds of problems. So guys is it possible to take a pats completely out of this ford? If it can be done how do I do it?
Some claim PATS can be "programmed out" of the PCM. I have reservations, though. Secondly, it would help greatly to know whether the aftermarket theft system was in any way "tied in" with the PATS system. Or if clear understanding were had of just how
the theft system worked, or was wired in, to aid in removing it. If the theft system itself failed, chances are you might never get it sorted out.

PATS alone is easy enough to keep operable, even if a part fails. For that reason, factory-original stuff lends itself to repair far more readily than crap offered for sale in the aftermarket. Wish I could help you more......if you have additional questions about PATS, and fixing/troubleshooting it, please ask.

The after market system was tied in because when i replaced the steering column i replace it from the steering wheel on down the module around the ignition was still intact on the one from pull apart i bought problems didn't start until the wiring was disturb under dash . Thank you very much for your help i think i am going to try a rewire job all i need is a color coded wiring diagram and a lot of luck. Computers are really dumb if you think about they just do what they are told to do. thanks again

You have to replace the PCM with a PCM from a non-PATS fleet explorer.

I have a aftermarket CodeAlarm I installed myself and it is not connected to PATS in any way. The only time a aftermarket system needs PATS intigration is when the aftermarket system has remote start. In that case good systems like DEI's (Directed) use a PATS emulator to emulate it's own key you add to the PATS system.

?? Anywhere the wires were severed, you'd simply reconnect same color to same color. Typically an aftermarket setup would have some stock wiring interrupted going into and out of it and you'd reconnect those without the aftermarket system in the middle, and isolate and insulate the power wire and any sensor leads to it or just remove them.

A wiring diagram of the aftermarket alarm seems like a more useful place to start than one for the vehicle.

In this case I don't see a reason to get rid of PATS unless you just want to avoid paying $10 for chipped keys (ebay) and programming them, but if you have the original keys and same computer, they should still work once the aftermarket setup is removed.

Back