Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 4Runner, 22 Silverado
Just noticed on the way back from a weekend trip that my tranny would pause for a few seconds under acceleration between shifts. Wondering if maybe its just the auto searching for a gear or if my tranny is going bad or maybe it is just time for the fluid and filter to be changed. Anyways I can't remember what tranny is in the X. It's a 4.0 OHV automatic. I wanna say A4LD but I think they stop putting those in them long time ago. Oh yeah I think on my door it says TR=D but I'm not 100% certain. In anycase if it is the correct code. would that be a 4R55E or a 5R55E?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the code does say TR=D and it has a 18 bolt pan.

1997 V6 Auto's are 5R55E's. So, that's what you have.

I'd say it's time for a fluid and filter change. Your tranny uses Mercon V only.

I figured it was the 5R55E. Yeah I just went over my vehicle maintance log for my X. The truck never had its filter changed only the fluid. :eek: I'm surprised it lasted this long. Well then again I've read that a tranny doesn't need to be serviced until 100,000 miles. Not sure if that is true or not. I guess its time to get under ye old truck again.

The tranny that (supposedly) doesn't need to be serviced for 100k is the new 5R55W which was introduced for the 2002 models.

For a 97, the service guide (owners manual supplement) calls for changing the ATF in the 5R55E at 60k for "normal" service, 51k miles for "severe" service.

The mileages are different for the 4R70W, by the way: 30k miles for "normal", 21k for "severe".

Opinion:
30k miles seems like a good interval to me if you are interested in getting the best life from the trans. I would change the filter at that interval as well.

Back