PCM Memory Keep Alive Battery

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Would anyone know how long the PCM Keep Alive Battery is designed to last?

Has anyone ever replaced one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think there is a battery in there
I have seen the inside of many PCM, never a battery
There is a circuit (wire) for the keep alive power, that wire just goes to the battery

Thought there might be a Coin Cell Keep alive battery.

Truck has been Out Of Service for quite a while (3 Years) while I slowly work on the full restoration.

Hopefully I have not "Blitzed" my PCM.

Doesn't really matter, it has to be fully re-tuned anyway after everything is done.

These trucks don't usually mind sitting depending on how dry your climate is, when I drag home projects it can be 1-3 years before they come into the shop
You can pretty much plan on doing a fuel pump/ filter but the PCM and such usually hold up really well
I keep cats around to keep the mice away, unhook the battery, support them on blocks if I plan to save the tires, fill the fuel tank (less varnishing possible) and put a box of baking powder in the interior to suck up moisture. Then cover them or set them in the shade and work like heck to get them in the shop asap

I have had a few bad PCM's over the years. Usually some sort of voltage spike or moisture intrusion can lead to their demise. The 91-94 trucks are getting older and we have had to buy aftermarket/ reprogrammed pcm online a few times here and there. Those can be a crapshoot. Maybe 5 or 6 bad pcm in 20+ years of working on these trucks...they are pretty dang reliable!

You can pretty much plan on doing a fuel pump/ filter

That's a given anyway since I'm going to a 331 Stroker.

Tank coming out so the underside frame can get painted.

"No I'm not doing a Cobber" and cutting holes in my freakin truck...

Thanks.

C’mon cut some big ass jagged holes in there, brah.

I cut a fuel pump access panel in my BII....but that's way too easy....its just flat metal on top of the tank.
I love my old 88, it has everything you need and then some (except the 331 part, that is coming).

If I ever have to drop my tank, I’ll cut an access then. It’ll look factory when I’m done though, and not be a terrible hack job where I forcibly rip the fuel line clips apart. :crazy:

It a long and tedious process for sure.

I just found all (4) Door Trims used but in one piece after a 2 year search.

Inside of the truck is full of new parts.

Frame is getting POR-15 section by section.

All engine accessory brackets and removable components that can be powder coated are getting slowly done.

Engine is done and on a stand waiting. Transmission is out and waiting it's turn to go to the builder.

I want MY case back since I am the original owner and I know the history of the truck.

After I'm done I'll probably be too afraid to drive it for fear of some clown running into it....

Would anyone know how long the PCM Keep Alive Battery is designed to last?

Has anyone ever replaced one?
@shucker1
It's a good thing, this question! Encouraged deeper response regarding the vehicle, status, work being done. I always knew 2 years of E-E would be a good thing for me! imp

Back