PCM Pin location for 104 pin connector '99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM Pin location for 104 pin connector '99 Explorer

540milotalon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
I had a wrecked '99 Mountaineer, 5.0 2 wheel drive and access to a 1996 Ranger 3.0 bad engine, also 2 wheel and both A/T, A/C
I did a swap, problem is the wiring is not 100% compatible.
I need the pin location for a '99 PCM and I have the Ranger.
The VSS is rear driven on the Mounty and trans driven on the Ranger.
Supposedly, all I have to do is relocate a couple pins on the connector for the VSS and move a couple wires on the tach and I Will have a speedo and tach.

I also have to get around the PATS or have it reprogrammed.

Any help, any link to the correct pin configuration will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to EF!!! You came to the right place. There is plenty of knowledge here about converting a ttb ranger to the 5.0!

BUT its not quite that simple..... there is quite a bit of wiring to do to convert a 96 Ranger 3.0 to a 99 Merc 5.0. I have done it many times.
It is not terribly difficult but you will have some complex wiring to sort out especially if you plan to keep AC

Is the 96 ranger 4x4?
is the 99 merc AWD?

Im glad you have the 96 Ranger wiring book, you should also get the 99 Explorer wiring book, it will be very helpful. This is a drivetrain conversion and a 96 Ranger can still be OBD1 as 96 was a half year for the ranger some are OBD2 and some are not......

You will want to add the 99 pats system to the 96 truck, or tune out the pats (I like to keep it)

The 96 Ranger uses a return style fuel system where the 99 merc uses returnless, you have to sort this out NOW

You will have to wire up:
The alternator charging and power wire for the voltage regulator
The starter / battery harness
Completely re work the ac wiring, as the explorer and ranger control the ac compressor very differently
The tachometer is the easy one, you just move a wire from the v6 feed spot to the v8
The 96 Ranger is expecting to see the VSS signal from a t case or trans tailhousing....the 99 merc has only one VSS in the rear axle. You will need to supply the 96 ranger with a corrected VSS signal. Dakota digital makes a nice converter for this, but we can get into that later
You will probably need to add a OBD2 port to the dash of the 96 ranger so you can communicate with the 99 pcm

That should get you started, now please do fill in the details so we can sort out how far along you are.
I have a "few" build threads that might help you, but first lets get the basics down.

Welcome to EF!!! You came to the right place. There is plenty of knowledge here about converting a ttb ranger to the 5.0!

BUT its not quite that simple..... there is quite a bit of wiring to do to convert a 96 Ranger 3.0 to a 99 Merc 5.0. I have done it many times.
It is not terribly difficult but you will have some complex wiring to sort out especially if you plan to keep AC

Is the 96 ranger 4x4?
is the 99 merc AWD?

Im glad you have the 96 Ranger wiring book, you should also get the 99 Explorer wiring book, it will be very helpful. This is a drivetrain conversion and a 96 Ranger can still be OBD1 as 96 was a half year for the ranger some are OBD2 and some are not......

You will want to add the 99 pats system to the 96 truck, or tune out the pats (I like to keep it)

The 96 Ranger uses a return style fuel system where the 99 merc uses returnless, you have to sort this out NOW

You will have to wire up:
The alternator charging and power wire for the voltage regulator
The starter / battery harness
Completely re work the ac wiring, as the explorer and ranger control the ac compressor very differently
The tachometer is the easy one, you just move a wire from the v6 feed spot to the v8
The 96 Ranger is expecting to see the VSS signal from a t case or trans tailhousing....the 99 merc has only one VSS in the rear axle. You will need to supply the 96 ranger with a corrected VSS signal. Dakota digital makes a nice converter for this, but we can get into that later
You will probably need to add a OBD2 port to the dash of the 96 ranger so you can communicate with the 99 pcm

That should get you started, now please do fill in the details so we can sort out how far along you are.
I have a "few" build threads that might help you, but first lets get the basics down.
OK, both trucks 2 wheel drive, A/T, A/C. I may occasionally refer to the donor as Explorer but it is a Mounty.

The 1996 Ranger has the OBD II port under the steering column and had the PCM in the firewall. I have both vehicles so parts are not much issue. The airbag deployed and Mountaineer totaled. I know it isn't a good idea but I am assuming the Ranger is OBD II.

The Ranger had a plastic fuel tank, I Removed the fuel pump hanger assembly and swapped fuel pump and in tank regulator to Ranger hanger. I am hoping with new Explorer filter the fuel pressure issue addressed.

The trans from the Explorer has a blank off plate and hold down bolt where the speedo sensor is on the Ranger tranny.
I have the wiring harness on the engine as it feeds the alternator, starter and A/C, knowing I Will have to address the ac system.
I am a partially disabled machinist so I made the engine plate adapters, the brackets needed to install the 8.8 disc brake rear and may have to make the drive shaft, where I fall behind is the wiring needed for the speedometer.

Thanks so much for replying!

Boy you got the right guy helping you
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Thanks @donalds

Don't assume the ranger is OBD2, all 96 rangers have the obd2 port and the pcm in the firewall, this does NOT mean it is obd2.

Do you have any type of a scanner that can talk to 96+ vehicles?
Does the ranger also still have a EEC test port under the hood?

So you installed the 99 merc fuel pump in the 96 ranger tank??? This is not how its done.
You see the 96 Ranger has return style fuel system. Two fuel lines, one to supply fuel and one to return, this system runs at 36-42 psi of fuel rail pressure. The regulator is on the fuel rail at the engine, any fuel not used by the injectors is returned to the tank
The 99 merc has a returnless fuel system. One fuel line, the fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the tank. This system runs at 60-64 psi of fuel pressure.

You have two ways to address this issue:
1. find a 90-97 ranger 4.0 fuel rail and injectors, so basically you can keep your 96 ranger fuel system
or
2. Convert the ranger to be returnless fuel. Replace the in take assembly and fuel lines with the units from a 98-11 Ranger. They were all returnless fuel

Yes the 99 Explorer 5r55e auto transmission still has the casting for the speed sensor hole, but no hole. There is also no drive gear on the inside, under the cover on the output shaft. The speed sensor issue can be fixed a few different ways, there are some cheap converters on the market that can take care of sending the computer the correct signal. We can deal with that later.

First lets deal with the wiring and plumbing for this conversion... we need to know if your ranger is OBD2 or not.......does it talk to a scanner, does it have EEC test port under the hood. The fuel system needs to be sorted out soon as the ohv fuel rail parts are getting harder to find. (I would plan to convert my 99 ohv engine to use the older style fuel rail and two fuel lines if it was me.)

Thanks @donalds

Don't assume the ranger is OBD2, all 96 rangers have the obd2 port and the pcm in the firewall, this does NOT mean it is obd2.

Do you have any type of a scanner that can talk to 96+ vehicles?
Does the ranger also still have a EEC test port under the hood?

So you installed the 99 merc fuel pump in the 96 ranger tank??? This is not how its done.
You see the 96 Ranger has return style fuel system. Two fuel lines, one to supply fuel and one to return, this system runs at 36-42 psi of fuel rail pressure. The regulator is on the fuel rail at the engine, any fuel not used by the injectors is returned to the tank
The 99 merc has a returnless fuel system. One fuel line, the fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the tank. This system runs at 60-64 psi of fuel pressure.

You have two ways to address this issue:
1. find a 90-97 ranger 4.0 fuel rail and injectors, so basically you can keep your 96 ranger fuel system
or
2. Convert the ranger to be returnless fuel. Replace the in take assembly and fuel lines with the units from a 98-11 Ranger. They were all returnless fuel

Yes the 99 Explorer 5r55e auto transmission still has the casting for the speed sensor hole, but no hole. There is also no drive gear on the inside, under the cover on the output shaft. The speed sensor issue can be fixed a few different ways, there are some cheap converters on the market that can take care of sending the computer the correct signal. We can deal with that later.

First lets deal with the wiring and plumbing for this conversion... we need to know if your ranger is OBD2 or not.......does it talk to a scanner, does it have EEC test port under the hood. The fuel system needs to be sorted out soon as the ohv fuel rail parts are getting harder to find. (I would plan to convert my 99 ohv engine to use the older style fuel rail and two fuel lines if it was me.)
I had thought if the entire fuel system was an exact replica of the '99 with the exception of the hanger assembly it would work? One line to filter, one line to injectors, same fuel pump and regulator? Same PCM? I could not find a higher pressure hanger assembly to fit the Ranger plastic tank.

There is no OBD I EEC test port on the firewall area like the '87 F-150 I am currently driving or the '95 F-150 I bought to use as a body parts donor for my '96 F-250 PSD. I do have an Autoenginuity Program on a laptop for all Ford's through 2011 and a separate OBD II code reader, most manufacturers. I am also familar with vehicles '95/'96 having OBD II ports but actually OBD I. This port has multiple pins in it, unlike those others.

Probably for the rest of the weekend, I will not be able to address your questions as to communications with the computer any further as the cab is off the frame, engine bolted down but no wiring connections. I wound up doing a cab/bed off frame painting and my help is National Air Guard this weekend.

Again, I am assuming with lack of the EEC plug, multiple terminals in the OBD II port it is a OBD II vehicle. When I purchased it, it had a partially disassembled engine and no battery. We just finished pulling engine and trans. I was going to use the OBD I '95 F-150 since it was basically a spare drive train and I wanted to eventually save miles on the up coming restored Diesel. But opted for the Merc instead when it came available. It had the lower profile intake plenum, maybe easier exhaust manifolds and an OBD II (presumably) drivetrain and 16" aluminum wheels. Ranger is in pretty good condition, two previous owners, same family and both adults. Not a work truck.

Also, will I be able to communicate with the computer through the data port before I address the PATS issue? Or will PATS simply not power up the injectors to fire but still energize the computer?

Sorry for so many, and which may be stupid questions. I am more familiar with Diesels and a machinist by trade.

Thanks for help, really!

ah ha! okay you are way further along then I was thinking
Yes you can of course adapt the entire 99 fuel setup into the 96, that is option 2
I was thinking you only swapped just the pump

Its okay
There are no stupid questions

Yes the 96 obd port that is in place will have the serial bus + and - wires that go to the pcm and other modules, so you will be able to communicate

I love diesels and turbo diesels oooh la la

both vehicles include the 42 pin square wiring plug under the hood. ON a Ranger it is called out as C110 or C112 I believe, in an explorer is it known as C115
You need to build a map comparing the 96 ranger 42 pin plug to the 99 explorer 42 pin plug
Then you will see the differences

I am sending you a PM with some information you might find helpful

Back