• Register Today It's free!

PCV FOR SOHC ?

guggy

Reaction score
City, State
TORONTO, ONTARIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 LIMITED 4X4 SOHC
I wanted to change my pcv valve and i checked on my SOHC v6 and all i saw was a tube from the valve cover but no valve.

Do the SOHC motors has pcv valves or was mine removed.
I have a 98 and the motor seems to run fine.

Any insight would be much appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '97 SOHC PCV valve is behind the intake manifold, right by the firewall. It is closer to the valve cover on the passenger side. It doesn't look like a typical PCV valve, but its there. It has a 'T' connection on top with two hoses coming off of it.

I replied to your other post regarding the PCV valve. Here is where mine is:

1097010604-03.jpg

Robert

Thank's for the reply.

Where in the tube is the pcv valve located ? Have you changed your pcv and is it easy to remove ?

Thanks.

Yes it is easy to locate, I think you have to remove the black engine cover first though. I didn't replace mine. I had Ford do it at 60K when I had it in for other service. Per my Warranty Guide, Ford will replace it at no charge at 60K miles.

Robert

Thanks for another reply robert i'll jump outside sometime today and check on that pcv.

By the way do you know of any good but not overly expensive way to gain horse power ?

Thanks

It's all relative in what you consider not overly expensive. The best bang I got for my buck was my SuperChip for $175. After that would be my K&N FIPK for about $175 followed lastly by my Borla for about $320.

Robert

I like the superchip idea but i don't want to switch to premium fuel and i heard that's what is needed when using a chip.

I want a cat back exaust when my muffler rots out "in a few months" but i still don't know what brand. How is you borla performing and did you see any noticable gains by itself ?

You also mentioned a K&N FIPK . What does the FIPK stand for ?
I already have the K&N drop-in , is there a difference ?

Another other home made power mods you can suggest ?

Thanks

guggy, FIPK = fuel injection performance kit. yes its different than a drop in filter. a drop in filter is the same setup as stock but with a different filter. the fipk (basically the same thing as the KKM tru rev) is a 'cold air' intake system -- suppossedly. i replaces the stock airbox with a conical filter - much less restrictive and gets more air thru it. i have the kkm kit and im very happy with it.

Thanks for the clarification Robert.

HELP HELP i must be stupid !!

Robert i still can't find that darn pcv valve !! I removed the black SOHC plastic cover and i checked the tube on the left passenger side and still nothing i have no pcv valve in the tube. Are you sure your x had one that Ford replaced ? Have you seen the pcv valve?

I tryed looking in the haynes manual but it says nothing about the pcv on a 98 SOHC .

Mabey the 97 SOHC and the 98 SOHC are a bit different because i heard that your motor has 205 horse and more torque and my 98 has 210 hp and a bit less torque .

Not sure i just read it here on a post .

Can anyone confirm/deny this or just find out where my pcv valve is ?

Thanks

Re: Robert

Originally posted by guggy
I like the superchip idea but i don't want to switch to premium fuel and i heard that's what is needed when using a chip.

I want a cat back exaust when my muffler rots out "in a few months" but i still don't know what brand. How is you borla performing and did you see any noticable gains by itself ?

You also mentioned a K&N FIPK . What does the FIPK stand for ?
I already have the K&N drop-in , is there a difference ?

Another other home made power mods you can suggest ?

Thanks

I felt the Borla the least of the three. I like the sound it provides though. My SuperChip was my first mod, followed a couple of weeks later by my K&N. I have had both on and off at various times during the last year when I 've had it in for service. My Explorer feels very sluggish when I take them off. Whenever I put the SuperChip back in, I get the most increase. The unfortunate thing about the K&N is I don't feel any power gains once the temperature gets above 90F which happens quite a lot here in Phoenix. I can tell a definate difference between my morning drive and my afternoon drive. What's wrong with running premium? Here in Phoenix it is only .20 more per gallon regardless of whether gas is .89 or 1.89 a gallon so it doesn't cost me any more to run it when gas prices are high than it did when they were much more reasonable. Maybe it's the thought of paying $1.89 a gallon.

I replied to your other post regarding the PCV valve and included pictures of mine. Go to Dead Link Removed

guggy, the pcv valve is located at the rear of the intake manifold in the engine valley. A tube runs up from the crankcase vent/ oil separator (fist-sized black plastic box in the valley). This tube forms a T with each top branch going to each side of the upper intake. The pcv valve is located at the T connection. Happy hunting back there.

do u just pull it out?

pcv location

guggy, I dont know if you have located the pcv valve yet. I just replaced mine on my 98 exploer
v6 SOHC it is located on the rear passanger side of the valve cover between the firewall and the valve cover it is kind of hidden in there you will see a black "T" just like what is pictured here
(Dead Link Removed) there is a nylon clip that holds it in place that you will have to undo with a screw driver, there is not alot of room back there so it does take some time. The replacement pcv valve may not look the same it make be all metal and no plastic. When I replaced mine I had to replace the "T" with a new one that is 3/8 and run a piece of 3/8 tubbing from the "T" to the pcv valve. Hope this helps

Back