PCV valve check and replacement procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve check and replacement procedure

fbopretired

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 ford explorer xlt
I just purchased an 06 Explorer 4.0 v-6 4 X 4. wanted to check the PCV valve and replace if necessary. Anybody familiar with the proper methods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased an 06 Explorer 4.0 v-6 4 X 4. wanted to check the PCV valve and replace if necessary. Anybody familiar with the proper methods?
Nm

I actually just replaced this last week on my '06 XLT 4.0L. It was a real pain finding any information about the location of the valve, but after a lot of searching I found it.

This is the part I needed:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-EV261-Positive-Crankcase-Ventilation/dp/B000C55XNC

The valve is accessible from the driver's side. If you look at the intake manifold, there is a hose attached with a green clip on the rear (closest to the windshield). Follow that hose to the other end and you'll find the PCV valve. It is behind the valve cover just below the intake manifold.

Remove the green clip and disconnect from the intake manifold, then pull that hose from the PCV valve. There is an electrical cable attached to heat the PCV valve that you need to disconnect as well. Then just get your hand in there and give it a 1/4 turn to remove.

Pretty easy once you know where it is.

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks for the extremely helpful description. I feel confident now in the process.

Back