peace muffler! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

peace muffler!

smurfxlt

Reaction score
today in school i was talking to a friend who works at a welding shop. we were talking about how i wanted to get a flowmaster muffler for my 99 xlt 5.0 but i didnt have the money. then i came up with an idea to just cut my muffler out and weld (my friend would be doing the welding) or just clamping a straight pipe onto the existing exhaust. as far as i know this would work but if not please tell me why. would i have room to have a straight pipe, or would i have to bend it down at the end like the stock one? and also, i believe my exhaust is 2 into the muffler, and 1 out so i would have to make a Y-pipe correct? and how much harder would it be to make it a dual exhaust, one straight pipe coming out of each side of the back (not the sides, right under the bumper)? i already have 2 of my cats cut out so i think it will sound great, tell me what you guys think, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Over the weekend, I put a new muffler in me 99 XLT and it wasn't bad. I sawzalled out the old muffler and clamped a new one in. I had the same issue as you though, I had dual inlet and single outlet on my stock muffler. I bought a dual in/dual out muffler to replace it (dual out leaves me the option to run dual exhaust in the future) However, for now I ran the two pipes into the muffler, and had a Y connector clamed on the outlet of my muffler and clamping that Y into the stock tail pipe. What you are doing should work. Just buy a Y piece or fab one up (since your friend works at a welding shop) and throw the pipe in there and weld it or clamp it together. Dunno where you live, and so I dunno if you are worred about it being street legal or not (I doubt it since you cut out the cats already), however, this would be definitely illegal where I am from (Virginia). But to each his own. Just get a Y connector and throw that baby in there.

As for running the straight pipe right out of the back, you would likely have problems with the spare tire being under there. Taking the spare off would give you a ton of room, but then you wouldn't have the spare if you need it (obviously). Anyway, good luck with the exhaust no matter how you decide to do it.

i live in new jersey, legality is a good point ill have to look into that. and i actually dont have a spare for my truck right now, but i do plan on getting one in the near future.

by technicallity anything done to your car other then standard mantainence and replacement with factory parts is illegal.

with that being said, i have duals on my ex, it's not a 5.0 but it's still not the factory muffler and no cops bother me about my exhaust. i have yet to go through inspection tho. however i don't see how they can fault you if it's a clean set up that works correctly for smog.

Yep, legallity is a big issue. I was going to run dual exhaust out of the side of my car (under the passenger side door) but I called around and couldn't find an inspection station that would pass me. (I needed to get an inspection last month). However, I just decided to do it the legal way and connecting most of it close to stock. I may or may not convert it over to what I was planning to do with the side pipes, but I know I will have to leave it somewhat legal so I can change it back over next year. Anyway, hope others post with insight and good luck again.
-Rob:thumbsup:

edit: I agree with you 97sprt4x4. As long as everything is performing like a stock exhaust would perform...and the system is muffling (if thats a word) the sound, then most decent places will pass you. There is the occasional hard @$$ who wants to screw over anyone who wants to mod their ride, but there are good shops out there.

yea i really need somebody to answer all these questions for me so if anybody knows anything...

I have removed the rear set of cats then attached glass packs then 2 45 degree elbos to dump it out under the rear pasenger side seat. The way i drive it doesn't get loud. I keep revs under 2000 all the time. But floor it and it screams a wonderful 5.0 song. :)

i wanna do this! but i dont want to get tickets or not pass inspection... what are my options here?

Take your muffler off and cut the top out of it. Gut the inside and have your buddy build the y-pipe inside your muffler. Weld the top back on. Now you have what looks like a muffler, but is actualy a straight pipe. And by doing all this on the top, if someone looks under your truck, it looks like a stock muffler. I did this with the cats on my Explorer and my Splash.

Back