Performance Chips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips

91 octane minimum

As an option could you use octane booster? Does that stuff really work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey chris. Your from smartyparts right? how much are the chips now? I think Ill need a custom deal... and is there a moneyback guarentee on the custom chips as well? After being jacked by Jet, I kinda dont want to throw away more money...

nick

i was thinking of getting a superchip, but i had a few questions. is it something i just have to plug in and do nothing else? and where exactly does it plug in? is it worth the money to someone what has none? is there any way it could damage my engine? what specifically will the chip improve that makes it worth so much money? Thanks

If you've made some minor mods to your stock engine do you have to tell the people at superchips so the chip works correctly or will it automatically adjust.

It plugs in to the expansion port thingie on your computer... it takes like 2 minutes to install... And they are SUPPOSED to be worth the money... but not JET!!! they suck.

nick

The only other thing you have to do is diconect your battery for one hour or so to reset the computer. I like the super-chip, it works well. I run 92 octane in my truck and octane booste with injector cleaner when I tow. The octane booster works.

Originally posted by soupbone
Ok so must one specifically request a chip that firms up the auto trannys shift points or is this standard? And from research it seems Ill have to switch over to higher grade gas to prevent pinging and engine damage. No more 87 octane huh.

The SuperChip on my '97 firmed up the tranny shift points. It also bumped up my full throttle shift RPM to approx. 6500 RPM. You should run at least 91 Octane or else you might get pinging. Even if it doesn't ping you would get no added power benefits. Your knock sensor would sense the pinging and retard your timing back to stock, negating any power benefits. The only benefits you would see would be from the transmission shifting.

Re: 91 octane minimum

As an option could you use octane booster? Does that stuff really work?

Yes, it works, but the net cost will be about the same as paying for 91 octane at the pump. Around here, the octane boost goes for $3-$4 a bottle. The higher octane costs $0.20 more per gallon. Using a 15 gallon fillup, it is an additional $3.

Originally posted by <<MONOCHROMOUS>>
i was thinking of getting a superchip, but i had a few questions. is it something i just have to plug in and do nothing else? and where exactly does it plug in? is it worth the money to someone what has none? is there any way it could damage my engine? what specifically will the chip improve that makes it worth so much money? Thanks

The SuperChip really woke up my '97 SOHC V6. It bumped up my full throttle shift points to approximately 6500 RPM. Shifting is a quicker now, with a slight jolt for each gear. Part throttle acceleration has been improved. I don't need to press the gas pedal down as far to get the same accleration. It plugs into the back of your PCM which is mounted in the top of your firewall under your hood. Mine went right in, but some have had problems with it fitting just right. The problems seemed to have been easily overcame though. There is also the possibility that you will need to have a jumper wire soldered in your PCM. You can send it to SuperChip and they will do it for no charge, or they will tell you how to do it if you are technically able and willing to accept liability if something goes wrong. I didn't need it on mine. You will know it if you do, your Explorer won't start. You have to run at least 91 octane to get the added power benefits. Some people have seen an increase in MPG, I haven't seen any, but I didn't get a loss either. My added cost is due to running 91 octane vs. 87.

Robert,

Well thanks for answering my questions in advance! Glad to hear the mpg news. I myself would probably get less becase id be stomping on it alot. Well considering how much the gas is going to cost ill just have to cool it! So It should just plug right in and work. If it doesnt....... Ill have to solder the chip or the ECU? Payday is comming up tomorrow. Need to know.

Thanks

Around my home it's hard to find 92 octane most places only offer 91. Is there a big difference between the two?

nope 91 should be fine... heh.

Robert,

Well thanks for answering my questions in advance! Glad to hear the mpg news. I myself would probably get less becase id be stomping on it alot. Well considering how much the gas is going to cost ill just have to cool it! So It should just plug right in and work. If it doesnt....... Ill have to solder the chip or the ECU? Payday is comming up tomorrow. Need to know.

Thanks

It seems to be with the newer Explorers that need the jumper wire. My '97 didn't, but your 2000 might. I don't know if all from a given year or if only certain ones. The Superchip will plug into the back of your PCM. Basically, you disconnect your negative battery cable, loosen the nut on the front of your PCM cable and move the cable out of the way, remove the two nuts that hold your PCM in the firewall and pull the PCM out. You then have to remove the connector cover, clean the contacts, put the Superchip on and put it all back together. You will get detailed instructions with your Superchip. If you need the jumper wire, your Explorer won't start when you put it back together. You then contact Superchip and they will give you the option of them doing it (they will return your PCM overnight) or give you instructions on doing it yourself.

So If I have to solder my ECU...... What if I want to remove the superchip temporarily? Will my vehicle still start and operate normally with this wire modification? Or do I have to heat up the iron and redo it again? Guess im getting a idea of the worst case superchip install scenario.

thanks..

No jumper is required on the 2000 soupbone, you are ok. Just tell them your specs and they will take care of it. Superchips won't just blindly send you a chip and then figure out how to get it to work.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-15-2000 at 05:47 PM]

what

6500 rpm? the uh stock tach only goes to 6000 and redlines about 5000 or so......
The only reason to use higher octane would be mechanical modifications that increase the compression. Granted Higher octane works better all around anyway...just I'm sure you can get away with the standard 87.
Superchips vs. Hypertech hmm...

Im not for certain.. but I think the SOHC rev much higher than the OHV...

nick

Re: what

Originally posted by Anime4x4
6500 rpm? the uh stock tach only goes to 6000 and redlines about 5000 or so......
The only reason to use higher octane would be mechanical modifications that increase the compression. Granted Higher octane works better all around anyway...just I'm sure you can get away with the standard 87.
Superchips vs. Hypertech hmm...

My SOHC V6 shifted at 6000 RPM under full throttle before the Superchip. Now with the Superchip my needle goes about the space for 500 RPM past 6000 when shifting at full throttle. The other reason for using higher octane is if the timing is changed which the Superchip does. In most instances if you try and run 87 octane with the Superchip installed your engine will ping. The computer will attempt to retard the timing based on the signal from the knock sensor. Sometimes it can retard the timing enough to get rid of the pingin, sometimes it can't. If the computer has to retard the timing to get rid of the knock, then you loose the added power benefits from the advanced timing that the Superchip provides. They might be able to get away with the standard 87 octane without pinging, but their timing won't be advanced either so they won't get any added power benefits. Try advancing the timing on an older vehicle that has the capability. See how much it pings. Put in some higher octane gas and the pinging will be reduced or eliminated.

I put a SuperChip in my '93 - what a difference! Here in Georgia, I run 93 octane Amoco, and the truck really likes it.

The engine has more power over the ENTIRE power band (it even sounds better), the shift points have altered, the shifts are much quicker and firmer. Definately a good modification.

A lady-friend of mine has a '98 Explorer with the 5.0 motor - I drove it last week. My SuperChiped '93 OHV motor (in a lifted truck with bigger tires) seemed more responsive. Granted, the 5.0 had the top end - when it got there.

A word of caution - when I was out west, getting oxygenated 91 or 92 octane gas, the truck liked to ping. Octane booster helped significantly, but not completely. I believe the oxygenated gas burns more readily (octane slows down combustion) so with the advanced timing of the chip (and the really hot desert weather), the engine pinged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by flyguy
Im not for certain.. but I think the SOHC rev much higher than the OHV...

nick

Yes, my '97 SOHC V6 revved to 6000 RPM before the Superchip. My '94 4.0L Ranger revved to 5200 RPM before the Superchip.

Back