• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips

vcmudder

Reaction score
City, State
Valley Center, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX
Hey I was wondering if anybody has installed a performance chip on a 91 Explorer/Navajo. I considering installing one but I would like to know the exact horsepower gains and which brand is best. I'm leaning towards a JET chip. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have one, but a lot of the guys here have the Superchip. The guys with the Jet chip have noted losssd in HP, not gains. If you mention this site to Chris at Smartyparts.com he'll give you the chip for $175.
SmartyParts says it gives a 16-21 HP gain.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-04-2000 at 05:11 PM]

Don't know much about the Jet chip. There's a thread on Hypertech vs. Superchip. You might want to review that. I purchased the Superchip. I tried to order it from Smartypants but they never responded to my calls or e-mails after over a month. Apparently their license to sell the Superchip was revoked. I am happy with the performance but I think I got better gains (SOTP and gas mileage) from the KKM intake and Dynomax cat-back.

Jet Chips

Well, guys, I've had the Jet Chip for about 3 yrs., and I certainly didn't notice any LOSS of performance. I actually seemed to gain some (just seat of the pants feel.. no actual dyno tests), but I would probably go the Superchip if I were doing it today... Guess I got into the Explorer mod thing too early! :), I got the rancho 2 1/2" lift when it was the only lift available, I got the K&N drop in when it was the only high flow filter available, and I got the Jet chip simply because it was the only one available! Sometimes it just pays to wait! Anyhow, I'd say go the Superchip from all the feedback I've read here on the board.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably go with the Superchip if I can get it for $175.

Jet chip owner here... I did get a loss of hp on my first chip... oddly enough it did feel better with the chip in though... could have been the new shift points... anyways... I havent had a chance to head back to the dyno to see if the new chip is any better...

nick

Smarty Parts still sells the chips and we haven't had our "license revoked"... more..

I admit we have done a pretty bad job getting back to folks recently and apologize for that. However, we do still sell chips and have a pretty awesome relationship with Superchips.
The problem has been me. We had problems with our email system over the last few weeks and once it was fixed, we received over four hundred emails in one day that were all backed up. If you figure about 3 minutes per email to type in a responce, you can see that I can answer about 20 emails an hour, without any breaks. The business is something I do in addition to another full-time job. I share office space with a large company and run their network in EXG for useage of their space and resources to run my business. I just haven't been able to keep up with everything lately due to great response we have gotten from Yall combined with my responsibilities surrounding my other job.
To help out. I have arranged for someone to help out, but it isn't easy finding people who know a whole lot about cars without having to pay them an arm and a leg. Once Susie gets up to speed, we should be back on track with our response times. Honestly, I am not even going to reply to any emauil older than about 2 weeks or so. So, if any of you have been trying to get a hold of Smarty Parts, please call us or shoot us another email and give us a few days to reply.

Have a Good One!
Chris Scott
Owner - Smarty Parts
http://www.smartyparts.com

KUDOS!

Hey Chris, good to see you following up! You even came here no less! It's not often that you see a business go the extra mile. I was worried, I wanted a chip at your great price. Anyway, I hope your helper works out and you get things rolling again.

Yeah, I might be getting a chip soon as well... my Jet chip just has one more chance at proving itself... then its off to the trash!

nick

I have a superchip in my truck and found a huge diff. it shifts harder when you get on it and on the freeway it will get out of its own way. That and the cat-back work grate.

I agree with the superchip comments. I ordered one and asked that the transmission shifts be firmed up as much as possible. Once installed, the car has more power over the entire band, especially at the top. It pulls all the way to the redline. The shifts are are much more firm and quicker.

The only problem is that my explorer has a couple of metal blocks at the back of the computer compartment that prevent the whole assembly from going completely in. As a result the rubber gasket will not seal and there is extra engine noise in the passenger cabin. This is solved if you seal this crack, like with some king of spacer. I was also told that superchips is trying to devise a larger gasket to solve this problem, but I am not completely sure of this.

[Edited by acn77 on 11-12-2000 at 03:15 PM]

manual trans

you said the chip makes it shift harder, so i'm assuming it was on an automatic, but would the chip effect the shifting of a manual ?

On a manual tranny, the driver controls the shift points...

The driver shifts the vehicle by hand on a manual shift vehicle, so the chip wouldn't have any effect on the shifting of the vehicle.

It's a good question, though.

Thanks!
Chris Scott
Owner - Smarty Parts
http://www.smartyparts.com

i know that the drive controls them the shift points, but does that part of the chip just not do anything or is there a seperate chip for the manuals ?

Ok so must one specifically request a chip that firms up the auto trannys shift points or is this standard? And from research it seems Ill have to switch over to higher grade gas to prevent pinging and engine damage. No more 87 octane huh.

The shift points are a standard mod, when avaliable. Super Unleaded is required.

If the techs at Superchips are able to alter the shift points, they do it as part of the standard program, so you don't have to ask for that part of the programming.
Also, you definitely have to use Superunleaded. Lower octane fuels almost always cause engine ping, which could really hurt the engine if it goes on for long.
It's one of the prices you pay... to play.

i have a manual and i'm wondering if i buy a chip, do i have to specify that it is manual or will it work in any type of tanns

Uhg...im on the phone with JET. They are mystified... and after being put on hold forever... they dont know what to do... I guess Ill have to call Martel Bros. to see if I can return it... unlikely though.

nick

So when you say superunleaded do you mean 89 octane, 91, or 92.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything over 91 octane.

The chips typically require gas over 91 octane.

Back