Performance Chips | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips

Scott,

I bet the chip is programmed differently for us westcoasters to prevent that problem with the gas over here. Im going to pay off some bills then i think im going to try the superchip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I might have made some progress... I just called Martel Bros. whom I bought my jet chip from... and they said if I could obtain an RMA # from jet... I could send it back to Martel... and they would issue me a credit... Ive already gotten one RMA#... wish me luck on the second! :)

nick

When I installed a new air filter my 91 raised it's shift point from 4700 to about 4950. So I'm guessing the older models were only made to do about that right.

Woo hoo! I ordered my superchip today! :) $175 plus $125 for the custom programming. Expensive... but really cheap if you consider Jet wanted to charge me $800 to program their non-working chip. Im looking forward to getting it... only problem is I have to wait for Superchip to do the programming... oh well... cant have cool cheap stuff immediatly. :) Ill let you guys know how it works out... I hope to get it in to the dyno shortly after I get it... have to give it time to calibrate itself though...

nick

Oh yeah.. .that Chris guy is pretty cool, go buy chips from him... :) we get a sweet discount too.

nick

nick,

What made them decide to reprogram the chip. Was it the increased compression you run? Most of the other mods you have a re pretty standard TB, Mas, headers.

I think you will easily get to 200 (engine) with the chip, headers, tb and MAS. Thats my guess. Well see when your done.

Well.. I knoe most recommend a custom program when you get headers... and I do have the increased compression... so I figure I should try and get the most hp for my money.. :)

nick

flyguy, where did you buy your chip? and how to you cantact him?

I bought if from Smartyparts... and frankly, Im getting pissed off. Chris was supposed to email me the form to calibrate the custom chip, and never did. Ive called him several times and even left him a message, and he has still failed to mail the form. Everytime I talk to him he says hes going to send it out that night... hmmm... I think Im getting put off...

nick

i want to buy a superchip, but i need it ASAP, and from what ive heard, smartyparts takes a while to respond, anyone know somewhere online that sells them directly so they can mail and i can get it soon??

Try Mike Troyer (540)862-9515 at Performance Products - spectacular service and support. What I didn't need was someone I couldn't get in contact when the need arised. Turned out my computer was re-programmed so that the code I had given them did not match, so the Superchip I received would not work - the truck refused to start. Luckily I purchased it from Mike and I gave him a call immediately and he arranged I return the Superchip together with my computer to have it read, program the Superchip as neccesary and overnight the computer and Superchip back to me. A true measurement of satisfaction is how satisfied you are when something does not go right.

How much?

How much did that purchase cost you config?

Originally posted by config
Try Mike Troyer (540)862-9515 at Performance Products - spectacular service and support. What I didn't need was someone I couldn't get in contact when the need arised. Turned out my computer was re-programmed so that the code I had given them did not match, so the Superchip I received would not work - the truck refused to start. Luckily I purchased it from Mike and I gave him a call immediately and he arranged I return the Superchip together with my computer to have it read, program the Superchip as neccesary and overnight the computer and Superchip back to me. A true measurement of satisfaction is how satisfied you are when something does not go right.

I'll second that. I got mine from Mike as well. Very fast and professional service. I went to Mike after not getting a reply back from Smartyparts as well.

How much was it from performance products?

Re: Jet Chips

Originally posted by Ray Hutchinson
Well, guys, I've had the Jet Chip for about 3 yrs., and I certainly didn't notice any LOSS of performance. I actually seemed to gain some (just seat of the pants feel.. no actual dyno tests), but I would probably go the Superchip if I were doing it today... Guess I got into the Explorer mod thing too early! :), I got the rancho 2 1/2" lift when it was the only lift available, I got the K&N drop in when it was the only high flow filter available, and I got the Jet chip simply because it was the only one available! Sometimes it just pays to wait! Anyhow, I'd say go the Superchip from all the feedback I've read here on the board.

I recently installed a JET Chip (FORD Module Part # 89903)in my 1999 4L SOHC and honestly saw a reduction of approximately 1/2 second in 0 to 60 acceleration. The only thing that I have noted is the 90 MPH limit is gone but what good is that for day to day driving. I bought the Chip from Explorer Express assuming they would provide good direction and honestly feel used and cheated since it doesn't live up to what they promised. Learn from my mistake. I have a $260 chip (Plus Shipping)mod that appears to be worthless. Thank You Explorer Express!!!!!]

Pyro, call them back and tell them how you feel. I talked to John and he was very helpful. We talked for 45 minutes and I didn't even buy anything. I would feel the same way if I spent that much money for nothing. Tell them you got the chip expecting better performance. I am SURE they will work something out with you.

It doesn't hurt to try, let me know how it goes.

Originally posted by flyguy
How much was it from performance products?

I can not say how much I paid, I promised Mike. I can say though to mention the price from Smartyparts when you talk to him:)

Hehe... okay cool. Sounds like they pricematch. :) If I can get ahold of Chris again, I guess Ill "cancel" my order... of course... looks like it never has been placed. Oh well.

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: How much?

Originally posted by Quick
How much did that purchase cost you config?

I also promised Mike I wouldn't tell. He did give me a discount though. Mention that. Good luck.

Back