Performance shocks help for eddie bauer explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance shocks help for eddie bauer explorer

lilautowiz

Reaction score
City, State
Palatine IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie Bauer Explorer 98
I have been needing shocks for my eddie explorer for a while and I have been looking for performance shocks for the truck but I am not sure if performance shocks exist with the air ride. Does anyone know about the air ride like can I just get shocks without air ride or what this is kind of a pain please help :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look into Rancho and Pro Comps. 4 wheel parts have a special right now, buy 3 get one free. I picked up some RS5000, will be here Tues.

Do you have air ride suspension tho because I do and im not sure if I buy a shock if i need it to have air ride and all that garbage.. thats what im worried about

you can disable the air ride.. the switch is in the back on the driver's side.. i think near where the jack sits.

There's a Monroe replacement for the ARC shocks, but it still requires the ARC to be disabled. I'm considering going this route for my '97 EB. I've replaced the factory shocks multiple times and I'm looking for something more reliable. The Monroe part numbers I'm looking at are 40006 and 40007.

The ARC gives a softer ride, it has softer springs included. Good luck,

I was thinking going with the stock ARC shocks but they went out on my in like 4,000 miles i could tell i was having problems and now my car leans like a bizitch and I heard that ARC is not reliable and im not a puss so i dont need a smoother ride i need a shock that can handle abuse

a stiffer anti-sway bar would probably help more on body lean than shocks.

and when i mean body lean i'm talking about when you're on a highway off ramp or on ramp where the vehicle is turning constantly for a good few seconds.

really dang ill look into that i wanted to know if i would be albe to do the shock swap my self of is the ARC a pain to deal with

Most issues with the ARC shocks is happening in colder climates. The corrosion is killing them. If they could be kept clean, and lubricated, they might last longer. The shock changes are the same, there are just air lines and a wire connector to remove. The hard part is disabling the system. The message center will give an error code until you kill that signal. Try removing the ARC module from inside of the dash. Good luck,

I went with the Edelbrock shocks at 90k. I'm at 113k now and have been very happy with the shocks. :thumbsup:

Back