Perplexed by CEL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Perplexed by CEL

Reaction score
City, State
Costa Mesa, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a recurring CEL issue with my 1994 XLT. It comes on randomly, then goes off usually before I even finish the trip. Sometimes it doesn't go on for three days and a few hundred miles. When the codes are pulled it shows nothing except an old code for lean on the right side, which was there before the injectors were replaced lasst month I have had the code cleared, but it comes back within a few days. I've had a couple of mechanics check it - no current codes, only an old code. I even disconnected the battery for an entire day. Still the light comes back. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Sounds like you either have an actual problem with a sensor, a bad connection or a broke/bad wire...

..It may be an item on it's way out as this is somewhat a common symptom until the item actually fails...Then you will have a constant CEL..

...Having the actual code will help others, help you...;)

...Sounds like you either have an actual problem with a sensor, a bad connection or a broke/bad wire...

..It may be an item on it's way out as this is somewhat a common symptom until the item actually fails...Then you will have a constant CEL..

...Having the actual code will help others, help you...;)

Not sure what the code is, only that it reads as lean on the right. I had a couple of bad injectors, so we replaced them all. The code still pops up, but always reads as an old code with no current codes. I guess I need to get my own code reader since I cannot know if it's an old code that won't purge or a current code.

..To check your codes, all you need is a paperclip...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962&highlight=paperclip

...To clear your codes, all you have to do is disconect your battery for 5-10 minutes...Then it takes about 50 miles for your computer to relearn all it's current info...Until this happens, your vehicle will run with factory settings..

...get your code and bring it back here and hopefully we can add some more info for your problem..;)

Last time my CEL went on & off with no code was when the gas cap gasket went. Some petroleum jelly & a few extra turns solved it (at least it stopped doing it)

Also, check your vacuum lines...They threw codes at me till I fixed a few.

Back