• Register Today It's free!

phenolic spacer

bluexplorer1

Reaction score
City, State
woodbridge, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 Eddie Bauer AWD
does anyone here that has the 1" phenolic spacer for their 5.0 NOT have TM or FMS headers? i just needed some ideas about how to lengthen/compensate for the EGR tube. i searched and all i could come up with was the possibility of using a 1" piece of plumbing pipe to go between the EGR (pancake thing on top of engine) and the tube itself. any other suggestions on how to get the damn thing off and bend it or any other helpful hints that do not involve installing headers???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could buy a new EGR tube (assuming you could find a new, flexable tube in stock somewhere), then install it when you do the spacer. I believe they come unbent from the dealer. The trick will be finding a flexible tube, the ones made recently are solid, I believe.

is the "flexible" tube able to be bent without using a torch? i am only asking because i have never seen one off the vehicle before.

I haven't either- just pictures of new ones in the package. I'd assume and have heard that the new metal is flexible and more forgiving than the "old" metal.

You may be able to play around with fittings and find some kind of rig to add some length- but you'd have to have it apart to know what fittings to need.

good luck to me! how hard is it to get it off the truck and taken apart? mine is incredibly rusted. i guesss i need a ****load of pb blaster or wd-40 to spray on it to soak up someof that rust.

not even with all the rust on it? i have to be honest i never tried to take it apart yet. my engine looks nothing like that. i bought my X in pittsburgh and found out it was first registered in michigan. lots of rust on the engine! but, 1" is still 1" right? how about rubber tubing between the egr and the tube? do you think tubing would hold up to the heat from the exhaust?

can you see a possibility of the inside threads being rusted as well? i am just trying to figure out as many unforeseen pitas as possible. i think if i can get the tube off of the actual valve itself i will be ok. what do you think about the use of tubing to go between the sensor and the tube? anything you can think of that would definitely not work?

Call Bob at Torque Monster, he will extend the EGR tube for you when you order your headers. He's doing it for me.

that is pretty awesome of him. do you know how the prebent tube that he is going to provide you with will work with a 1" phenolic spacer? have you thought about adding the spacer in the future?

You would have to extend it. Bob told me he takes a standard Ford EGR tube and welds in an extra inch or so of tube. The EGR tube is the reason the 98+ headers cost more than the 95-97 headers.

how about rubber tubing between the egr and the tube? do you think tubing would hold up to the heat from the exhaust?

yeah, i think i remember a post somewhere that talked about cutting the tube apart and welding a piece of another egr tube into it to make it longer. is that something that would be easy for any person that knows how to weld to do without screwing it up?

My egr tube is made up out of 2--

I fabbed it in place, installed a slightly larger tube over the gap, tacked it, and took it to the muffler shop to have welded up. I just figured since they weld thin wall material all day it was the logical thing. He did it free of charge. So, I took them a case of DR. Pepper. Another thing I do--I drop in on them just to say Hi.

My egr tube is made up out of 2--

I fabbed it in place, installed a slightly larger tube over the gap, tacked it, and took it to the muffler shop to have welded up. I just figured since they weld thin wall material all day it was the logical thing. He did it free of charge. So, I took them a case of DR. Pepper. Another thing I do--I drop in on them just to say Hi.

what is the "slightly larger tube"? is it an egr tube from a different vehicle or did you get it at home depot or something? where on your egr tube did you get it in half?

what is the "slightly larger tube"? is it an egr tube from a different vehicle or did you get it at home depot or something? where on your egr tube did you get it in half?

I just found a peice of tubing that would slide over it tightly-scrounged through my garage for it. You might go to a junk yard, they will have some egr tubing from an older vehicle for sure. You might find some tubing at the hardware store.
You will just have to line up the 2 tubes and find a section of straight to make your cut.
My intake manifold is a 94-95 mustang style with a 45 degree elbow-so showing you mine will not help. Sorry
The best advice I can think of right now-is to get another egr tube-attach one to the exhaust manifold, attach the other to the egr elbow-and then decide what to do.
Mark where you need to cut-remove them and cut with a tubing cutter. If you don't have a welder to tack it--make some marks across the seams to get proper alignment when welding.
This is something you are just going to have to go out there and do. It sounds harder than it really is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just found a peice of tubing that would slide over it tightly-scrounged through my garage for it. You might go to a junk yard, they will have some egr tubing from an older vehicle for sure. You might find some tubing at the hardware store.
You will just have to line up the 2 tubes and find a section of straight to make your cut.
My intake manifold is a 94-95 mustang style with a 45 degree elbow-so showing you mine will not help. Sorry
The best advice I can think of right now-is to get another egr tube-attach one to the exhaust manifold, attach the other to the egr elbow-and then decide what to do.
Mark where you need to cut-remove them and cut with a tubing cutter. If you don't have a welder to tack it--make some marks across the seams to get proper alignment when welding.
This is something you are just going to have to go out there and do. It sounds harder than it really is.
ok tell me if i got the right idea... make a mark on the tube 1/4-1/2 inch below the nut that attaches to the upper intake manifold while the tube is still attached, then remove the tube, cut along the mark you made with a tubing cutter thereby separating the tube, weld a precut 1" piece of egr tubing from another explorer between the 2 pieces, and reinstall. this should do the trick right? will the weld hold up to the torquing applied during reinstallation? one more thing... is there anyway to prevent cracking the exhaust manifold when i take this thing off? i appreciate you guys' replies. keep them coming please!!

Back