• Register Today It's free!

Pionner AVIC D3

skullymullins

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Exp EB / 08 Sport Trac
Anyone here have the Pioneer AVIC D3 in there vehicle? If so please list pro's and con's. I am interested in getting one.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked extensively at this but ultimately decided "no."

Pro's: All in one; very affordable; Pioneer's navigation system is fairly extensive; bypassable (i.e., use functions when in drive); button backlighting adjustable to interior color (big one for me).

Con's: DVD-based navigation; no internal HD for music (or navigation); smaller screen than true touch screen units; large knob (may or may not be your thing).

My ultimate decision was based on the color of the unit (what? Yeah--I wanted silver) and the lack of HD-based navigation.

Cool, Thanks for the info.

try checking out the avic d2 because it has 2 disc slots so you can listen to a cd while using the nav. the downside to that unit is there is no dvd player so you will need an external player.

According to crutchfield.com the avic d2 is no longer available????? I guess it's d3 or bust.

I love my D3, the ipod integration completely makes up for the unit only having 1 DVD slot.

I just ordered my D3 through a promotion at work. It will be here on the 30th. I wanted to have it installed next week, but the BlueTooth and Ipod adapter are on back order. After looking around, I was going to get the JCV single din with nav and add a flip out monitor on top but this came along as a steal for me so i had to get it.

I have looked around and the reviews are pretty solid. I hate the fact that it only has a single dvd, but it plays music and video from the ipod and that is all i really need. I will let you know how the install goes when i get my parts in.

Awesome. and Yes please let me know how you like it.
Can you listen to the iPod and use the nav at the same time?

I have a deh 6800mp right now so Im looking forward to an upgrade.

If you are just wanting to see how it looks in an x, there are several threads here about it. I was able to get a brand new one for $400 direct from pioneer. It was a special work promotion this month. I am assuming they are clearing inventory for the new models to launch.

I am going to run the Ipod, Bluetooth, Reverse camera, and tv tuner off the the unit. You can get an adapter for steering wheel controls for the head unit as well. IT seems all the reviews are pretty positive except for the lack of HD based navigation. You do have to leave the nav dvd in the drive when you are plotting a course or making changes, after that you can remove it and watch a movie while the map is saved in the system. I want to install a tv tuner but am having some trouble finding one at a good cost that will interface with the unit. It looks like I am going to have to get a generic one with RCA input.

Overall the unit seems pretty strong for more than casual users. It can be customized pretty easy with wallpapers and colors. The best place to do research when you buy one is at avic411.com . Ill post some pics of my complete install when I get all the parts in.

Here is a thread with pictures of an installed d3

i love my d3

I have the d3 installed in my x. So far i have the ipod, bluetooth, and sirius hooked up to it and i love it, maybe getting the back up camera in near future. I love the navigation, it will save your route if you want to watch a movie...to make up for not having two slots, im dealing with it and it doesnt bother me.

How can I get one for hat price ?

If you are just wanting to see how it looks in an x, there are several threads here about it. I was able to get a brand new one for $400 direct from pioneer. It was a special work promotion this month. I am assuming they are clearing inventory for the new models to launch.

I am going to run the Ipod, Bluetooth, Reverse camera, and tv tuner off the the unit. You can get an adapter for steering wheel controls for the head unit as well. IT seems all the reviews are pretty positive except for the lack of HD based navigation. You do have to leave the nav dvd in the drive when you are plotting a course or making changes, after that you can remove it and watch a movie while the map is saved in the system. I want to install a tv tuner but am having some trouble finding one at a good cost that will interface with the unit. It looks like I am going to have to get a generic one with RCA input.

Overall the unit seems pretty strong for more than casual users. It can be customized pretty easy with wallpapers and colors. The best place to do research when you buy one is at avic411.com . Ill post some pics of my complete install when I get all the parts in.

Here is a thread with pictures of an installed d3

Does this unit fits a 99 x?

I verified with crutchfield and their system shows it wont fit.

How can I get one for hat price ?

work for a retailer who sells pioneer and offers an employee accommodation.

yes it will fit, just need to get a double din kit (look at Metra's website) and remove the upper and lower lip inside the radio opening of the dash. put in my D3 (also bought on accommodation) a few weeks ago into my '97 X. also bought the pioneer xm with navtraffic tuner for $40 from cicuit city. dunno why they had it selling for that low cause it's $200 from us

it wont fit in the stock opening. if you trim about 1/8" from the sides of the opening it will fit though. There are a few write-ups about how to do it but if you decide you don't have the ability to hack up the bezel im sure someone would do it for you for a small fee

Kelly2 is correct. I expect to see the new versions to launch early next year and the d3 will drop some in price before being discontinued.

I had it installed about 2 weeks and I am impressed. It is an amazing little toy. My installer is a long time friend and he took care of me. It looks factory and he wired up the factory sub with a scosche/metra kit that allows it to be controlled with the pre-amp outputs separate from the speakers. I need to take it back to have a resistor put on the remote turn on because the unit puts out 12volts and the factory sub is 5 volts.

I will try to get some pictures when I recover from this turkey coma.

it wont fit in the stock opening. if you trim about 1/8" from the sides of the opening it will fit though. There are a few write-ups about how to do it but if you decide you don't have the ability to hack up the bezel im sure someone would do it for you for a small fee

oops. i said top and bottom but meant left and right sides. meh, he gets the idea

actuall i had to trim the lips from the top and bottom to clear the flip out face. i recall the metra double din kit using the lips on the sides to hold the unit to the bezel.

One negative with pioneer nav units is the sound processing/ eq is not that great as there is limited adjustability. one would need a dsp or external eq to fine tune a system with external amps etc. however it may be ok for the internal amp but i have never tried.

actuall i had to trim the lips from the top and bottom to clear the flip out face. i recall the metra double din kit using the lips on the sides to hold the unit to the bezel.

guess i was right the first time.

Back