• Register Today It's free!

PITA Brakes!

neon_boy82

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac
Hi everyone. I need some help with the rear brakes on my truck, specifically the driver's side. I replaced the pads and rotors on both back brakes last summer. A few months later I noticed a grinding noise coming from the driver's side so I pulled the wheel off and took a look. The pads were completely wore down, metal on metal. All the brake components were coated with brake dust. It's like they were seized on. I took it all apart, the piston on the caliper seemed to work fine and the slide pins worked well too. I bought new pads an put them on. A few days later after about a 30 minute drive the brakes started amking noise again. They were sqealing in a rotational patern and it was more noticeable under low speed turns ( like from a stop light). Anyway, I just checked them out again today. The pads aren't wore down as bad this time but the noise is getting more frequent. Again, the caliper seems to be fine. I was told it might be a problem with the rubber lines not releasing pressure but I can't tell if they are bad or not. If anyone has any experience with this or and ideas what might be causing this problem I would appreciate your feed back. Thanks.

p.s. Sorry for the long post :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem as well. I repacked the caliper. This seemed to fix the problem.

how do you repack a brake caliper? I tried to ggogle it but I couldn't find any information about it. thanks.

Repacking is just replacing the seals inside. In total I think there were 4-5 seals in it. The seals can ordered by googleing the caliper you have. I only paid 1.85 for all the seals. Extremely cheap. You can find them at nappa auto parts and such.

You also might just need to re grease and pack your wheel bearings too! Simple and easier to find on google for sure.

Back