• Register Today It's free!

Plasti-Dip Smoke Taillights???

RoCkrMAN

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0L
Has anyone used the plasti-dip smoke on there taillights? I was going to order two cans monday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So... you don't want people to see when you press on your brakes or have your lights on at night?

So... you don't want people to see when you press on your brakes or have your lights on at night?

I completely disagree with this statement. I had VHT'd my old chevy's lights with no problem in visability at night or day. It all depends on how many shades you apply. Now, the legality of it is another question. I never recieved tickets on it, but it is illegal to tint them for road use with NiteShade.

If you do decide to use it to tint, make sure you completely clean off your tails of any debris or grease or any other substance on the lenses. Apply very light coats as you go along and allow dry time and fit them back on. If you wan't darker, repeat the steps. They will fade somewhat over time while out in the sun.

Edit: you won't need two cans of that to cover two tails. If you're expecting to use that much, you're going to be way too dark

I completely disagree with this statement. I had VHT'd my old chevy's lights with no problem in visability at night or day. It all depends on how many shades you apply. Now, the legality of it is another question. I never recieved tickets on it, but it is illegal to tint them for road use with NiteShade.

If you do decide to use it to tint, make sure you completely clean off your tails of any debris or grease or any other substance on the lenses. Apply very light coats as you go along and allow dry time and fit them back on. If you wan't darker, repeat the steps. They will fade somewhat over time while out in the sun.

Edit: you won't need two cans of that to cover two tails. If you're expecting to use that much, you're going to be way too dark

I'm planing on doing my fog lights as well. Also "plasti-dip" paint is a rubber type paint that comes back off. So if it doesnt look good you can peel it right of. But iy is sturdy as well and looks amazing!

I'm familiar with plastidip, but I've never heard of a transluecent plastidip. I use VHT NiteShade. It doesn't come off easily, requires thinner and possibly sanding. But best of luck to you. Watch out for cops.

Just because you didn't get tickets doesn't mean visibility didn't go down. If you tint your lenses, you are allowing less light through, no matter what. Allowing less light through means less visibility. Your taillights are designed to be visible from a specific distance and in certain levels of light. No matter what, if you tint them, you are reducing their functionality. End of story. I don't care how many cops were too apathetic or didn't want to waste the time writing tickets for something trivial. Your argument sounds just like the idiots with plug and play HIDs who say their lights must be legal and not blind other drivers because they rarely get flashed and they haven't gotten any tickets.

Remember, not getting a ticket doesn't mean your stuff works good. It just means that people are lazy, and cops don't like being the bad guy all the time. If you show me a cop that has never let people slide on something minor, I'll show you a cop who has absolutely no friends, in or outside of his job.

Legality aside, plasti dip would be like using spray paint or bedliner. It is not translucent. I do not think you would see very much or any light through it. Niteshade is meant to allow light through it assuming you don't over do it. Plus you have a 2nd gen. Just pick up a set of lights from a junkyard for 15 bucks to niteshade. Then you always have a stock set to swap back to.

Actually, 3-4 coats of plastidip is just as translucent as putting on 3 or 4 coats of VHT nightshade.

It is kind of popular with the kiddies right now.

Actually, 3-4 coats of plastidip is just as translucent as putting on 3 or 4 coats of VHT nightshade.

It is kind of popular with the kiddies right now.

Well, I stand corrected. I would have never guessed that. Either way I don't think it would look good with the texture of plasti dip.

I will post pictures when I get them done!

OP, don't blame anyone on here if you get a ticket or get into an accident. You were warned.

Well, I stand corrected. I would have never guessed that. Either way I don't think it would look good with the texture of plasti dip.

It just looks like matte black paint... guess that's why some of the kiddies like it. I wouldn't be a fan of it even if I didn't hate tinted tails.

I never said that the visibility will be the exact same as stock. I said I had no issues with visibility. Then again I didn't do 10 coats like most people do. I slightly tinted them. Then I had someone else drive my vehicle during the day and night following them around the neighborhood at varied distances to check the visibility and it was still clearly visible from far and close. It all depends on how many shades you do. Also, I was simply stating that I myself hadn't received a ticket for it, I wasn't saying it was legal, or anything of the sort. Just saying for the majority of officers out there, they aren't going to worry about your tint on your tails. Regardless of that. he asked if anyone had ever done it before, not on your personal opinion on tinted tails. And of we're on opinions, what makes tinting the lenses themself any different from putting the covers over tails or headlights?

Plasti dip smoke is completely different. Not black. But it turns out looking...not so good. I'm pretty familiar with all the plasti dip stuff and the smoke was a pretty big let down to me

I never said that the visibility will be the exact same as stock. I said I had no issues with visibility. Then again I didn't do 10 coats like most people do. I slightly tinted them. Then I had someone else drive my vehicle during the day and night following them around the neighborhood at varied distances to check the visibility and it was still clearly visible from far and close. It all depends on how many shades you do. Regardless of that. he asked if anyone had ever done ot before, not on your personal bias against tinted tails.

He also didn't ask for you to come in here and herp derp about why you think that your tail lights were magically safer and better than every other idiot who tints their taillights just because you never got pulled over. He only asked if anyone had used plastidip on their tails. Strangely, I was the only one who even knew anything about putting it on your tails, so I'm curious why you are *****ing about me answering this thread when you came in here just to fanboy for the brand of tint you have used before and think you are an expert on now.

It is not just a personal bias against tinted tails. It is the fact that it is illegal and dangerous to modify the equipment on your vehicle that is put there to make you and every driver around you safer. If you don't like reading those types of posts, then I recommend not reading these types of threads, because there will always be someone that posts in them to remind people that it is a stupid thing to do, and disagree with every retard post that follows about how "I tinted my tails and the popo never pulled me over, so they must have been awesome and not have had any visibility problems".

:banghead:

Back