plastic coating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

plastic coating

Ok, I swear I saw this once before in the forums, but with as many times as I've searched I couldn't find it again. There's this craptastic plastic coating on the wheels on my X. And they just make them look horrible. Now that's they're peeling off wash water and the wheel cleaner just seeps behind it and sits between the wheel and the plastic coating. I've managed to peel some off, but not all of it. How can I get that crap off easy without damaging my wheels. I'd rather have them bare and take better care of them than have them look so ugly because the brake dust and wheel cleaner build up and leave nasty gray/black bubbles under that plastic surface. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

That is clear powder coat paint. Removing it is very hard, only the professional coating places are used to it, and they don't like to do it.

Well darn, guess I'll keep plugging away at that on my own. I understand the idea behind it is to protect the wheel, but maybe need to do a better job at it, because it looks like hell. Thanks for the help though. Might have to find someone to help me take that crap off.

I removed the clear from my wheels with a 120 grit flap wheel, but I am painting them.

Back