2nd gen black rubber coating on int. plastic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen black rubber coating on int. plastic?

Marcus Aurelius

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I'm sure anyone with a 2nd generation explorer has this problem.

The thin rubber coating on the black plastic pieces of the center console and around the radio is slowly wearing away, not exactly peeling, but coming off.

I've thought about painting it other colors; grey to match the exterior trim, green to match the exterior, silver to look like the ones from an explorer sport, gloss black, etc.

But, before I make that decision, is their a product to restore that rubber coating to OEM? or is it just a lost cause and I would have to buy new ones from somewhere to get that look again? Thanks for any input and suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just re-painted mine

Its happening to mine too... if you rub it on the worn areas you can easily rub more of it off. It looks shiny under it thought.. I thought about trying to rub it all off.

I think you're best bet is to paint it
Prep it well, sand and paint with krylon plastic fusion paint.

That's what I'm thinking I might have to do.

What color do you guys think I should go with?

tropic/amazon green to match the exterior, cast iron gray to match the ext. trim, silver to immitate one from a explorer sport, or gloss black?

Cast Iron Gray! And yes some corners are starting to wear away. Not sure I am ready to paint mine as I have seen some really shoddy jobs.

Jon, you are awesome!! Thanks for the link.

I think I will do the cast iron grey. In thinking about it, it would be more unique without being over kill.

I know duplicolor sells touch-up paints and small spray cans for all body colors at auto parts stores, but do they sell the trim colors? or would I need to go to Ford to find it?

So I referred to Tbars paint code thread, very good by the way, and found that the exterior trim color for XLT's with the XLT Sport Group Package is called "Medium Platinum" and the paint code is "RC". Is this correct?

Back