• Register Today It's free!

please help dont know my problem

JT1007

Reaction score
City, State
tomsriver, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
i have a 98 explorer XLT 4x4. i beileve my cv joint is shot and i am currently trying to replace it.. however before i get too far i want to make sure that this is deffently thr problem.. for awhile when i accelrate real hard it makes this clucking noise drivers side... has been doing this for awhile... i just couldnt afford to bring t down to a shop to have some one tell me what the deal is so ive been baby-ing my baby...well recently we had a lot of snow here and we were caught in the storm. well in the process of getting home the noise kinda got worse... well we got home ok got stuck home for 2 days. well when i went to go to work the truck ran ok and then all of a sudden it kinda like disengage being in drive. wouldnt go forward.. i was able to get it to go forward again. i asked some friends and they told me it sounded like my cv joint...so the truck has been out of commission for about a week now. well i removed the the cv joint already and it was deffently shot... i think... im new to working on explorers and i just want to make sure that this is the problem i'de really hate to put the new ne on and this not be the problem...please help!!!!

Could also be front driveshaft problem also.

Could be the CV joint or even wheel bearing. Lift the truck up, grab the tire and see how much play there is between the cv axle & the hub assembly. Compare to other side. If there is significant more, replace. Also check the condition of the CV axle, check for tears in the boot.

ok so i decided to just replace the cv joint...that was fun anyways now i have a new problem. now it wont shift into overdrive...shift through 123 kinda rough but does it and will not shift into o/d at all... got a little nervouse when im doing 40 but rpm are at 3500...any ideas what the problem is now... same truck 1998 explorer xlt 4x4...really could use some ideas...really hoping its not the tourqe converter...

Back