6 bolt, fron- DS help, HELP!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6 bolt, fron- DS help, HELP!!!!

Omgrtfa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bower
I need help guys, my front shaft is a baby rattle now.. the cv is shot. i've learned that its the weakest link in the drive line and prefer not to replace it with an oem shaft.

I hear there's a conversion for the 6 bolt cup : NeapCo Part # N2-83-287X
that allows you to put a u-joint in its place..

can someone break this down for me on a 6th grade level? i cant find the part anywhere even with the damn part number, and i dont know if i can use my stock drive shaft after knocking off the cv.

i don't have a lifted truck, all stock, i just want my damn awd to work. what do i buy to make this conversion work?

'97 awd 5.0 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

still dont know if i can just slap it on my drive shaft.. or what.. thats part of what im after.. with this conversion what else do i need to do?

buy part
???????
AWD

Oh, yes.
The whole idea for the conversion is to eliminate that POS drive shaft, using a regular type drive shaft from like a 96 explorer, with a double cardaan u joint set up at the transfer case end.

So, you need to find a drive shaft with a yoke bolt pattern which will match the adapter. Drive shaft length should also be checked

Ditto. You will need to have a custom driveshaft made to make it all work as the CV output reduces the clearance on the front end to the point where a 95-96 front shaft won't work. You'll need to either snag a 95-96 shaft and have it shortened, or have one custom-made.

But let me make sure I've got this straight: You feel that when the front CV joint on the driveshaft of a 13 year old truck fails after how many umpteen-hundred-thousands of miles, you don't want to replace it with the same thing?? I don't get the logic myself... In that case, OEM is the FIRST thing I would want to replace it with...

oem is 300+ $ and i hear people here in this forum are on their 4,5,6th shaft. some only after a few months...

luckaly i know a DS man from back in my ranger days,.. i bet he can make me one

oem is 300+ $ and i hear people here in this forum are on their 4,5,6th shaft. some only after a few months...

luckaly i know a DS man from back in my ranger days,.. i bet he can make me one

Try ericautopart, he is a forum vendor. Check out this thread $220 for OEM.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270732

Like gijoecam said, how many miles did you get out of the OEM one? Your trucks a 97 and it JUST went.. sounds like it was pretty darn good to me. I got close to 200K on my first one.

I'm at 180k on my first... it's been making a little squeak when cornering locked in 4high for about 4 or 5 years now... I've just been too lazy to replace it.

They also sell a replacement CV head that (allegedly) you could replace yourself. I haven't personally tried it yet, but I can't imagine mine has much longer to go before I do.

-Joe

Back