Please help! ECT Sensor (Computer) Location... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! ECT Sensor (Computer) Location...

the_merlin

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have a 1999 XLT SOHC (E VIN). I also have the Haynes manual guiding me in this process. I am attempting to replace the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. I see that there are two of the same sensors, one for the computer and one for the temperature gauge. I am trying to replace the ECT sensor for the computer. Here is my problem...

The Haynes manual states that the ECT (computer) sensor is usually gray and the temp guage sensor is brown. Also, an image is shown of both sensors and it shows that the computer ECT sensor is left of the temp. gauge sensor. HOWEVER, when I open up my hood I find the two sensors and the colors are opposite of what is stated in the Haynes manual...the gray sensor is on the right and the brown one is on the left.

How do I know which of the two sensors is the ECT computer sensor?

Thanks for your help. A quick response is greatly appreciated as I have my hood open and the explorer is out of service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go by the wire color codes in the harness:

ECT Sensor (PCM input): light green/red and grey/red

ECT Sender (I/P temp gauge): red/white and black/white

I would go by the wire color codes in the harness:

ECT Sensor (PCM input): light green/red and grey/red

ECT Sender (I/P temp gauge): red/white and black/white
Which wire of the ect sensor goto pcm or does both of them go. What are the pin number for them.

Test your sensor test both pins to the sensor base one is ground
Other one is the computer wire

Btw this thread is from 2007

Or warm the vehicle up and unplug one. If your temp gauge goes full scale, or to zero you have the wrong one.

Test your sensor test both pins to the sensor base one is ground
Other one is the computer wire

Btw this thread is from 2007
Don't know what I like more about EF: the fact you all have answers for these questions about our now-vintage rides; or the fact said vintage rides are still rolling!

Don't know what I like more about EF: the fact you all have answers for these questions about our now-vintage rides; or the fact said vintage rides are still rolling!
why not both? :D

Back