Help: Remote Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: Remote Start

91Explorer

Reaction score
Need help with installing the remote start on my alarm. I have the starter wire, one of the ignition wire(for the ecm/fuel pump). When I try to remote start, the engine would crank, but won't start.

I think I haven't connected a certain wire causing the no start. Because if I leave the key in the on position, and remote start it'll crank and start.

Any ideas???

Hi,

I'm talking with a guy on the car audio NG, and he wants to know what kind of car alarm you have. Does it have anti-theft features or is it just a basic alarm? He thinks that perhaps it might not have been wired to the tach properly... I've never installed this, so maybe you know what he's referring to?

Jon

I don't think it need a tach wire. It can be used in tachless mode. I believe the alarm is hooked up right because all the other functions work and if I turn the key to the on position and make the alarm start the car, it would also if it's started with the alarm, even when I turn the key to the off position it will remain running.

The alarm is from Crime Stopper.

thanks for looking into it for me.

Here's another in depth response and a place that was suggested looking:

QUOTE:
I know of many cars that have multiple ignition wires that need to be active in order for the car to run. He may have one of the ign wires that runs say, the heater blower and the interior electrics but not the one that feeds the engine's ignition circuit.

Go back and find ALL the wires that are hot when the key is "On" then use relays to tap them into the circuit. OR if you want to cheat, just find the one that actually feeds the distributor and use it alone. (but you'll likely not get heat or A/C output and that sort of defeats the purpose of a remote starter)

Good luck, if you are looking for some installation ideas check out http://www.autostart.ca they have relay diagrams and whatnot for adding multiple ign leads to a remote starter brain.

END QUOTE

That's about all that was given, but I think this is the most comprehensive answer you'll find. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Jon

Back