PLEASE HELP vacuum lines popping off the vacuum tree | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP vacuum lines popping off the vacuum tree

92exploderstl

Reaction score
City, State
ST. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hi, I am new here. My name is Eric. Some time when i start my 92 explorer xlt 4.0 it dies and i here a pop sound. try and restart it it starts but runs rough noticed their were a couple of hoses off of the tree (the tree is located on the top of the engine on the drivers side and at the rear of the engine. I have done a tune up changed the PCV valve have a K&N air filter. EVERYTHING IS STOCK and there probaly is a thread for this in the forumm im sure

What could be the cause of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If pressure reversion is blowing lines off, check that your plug wires aren't crossed up. Note that they do not go the same way the coil does on the passenger side (see picture).

Attachments

• FiringOrder6a.gif
    FiringOrder6a.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,858

Hi, I am new here. My name is Eric. Some time when i start my 92 explorer xlt 4.0 it dies and i here a pop sound. try and restart it it starts but runs rough noticed their were a couple of hoses off of the tree (the tree is located on the top of the engine on the drivers side and at the rear of the engine. I have done a tune up changed the PCV valve have a K&N air filter. EVERYTHING IS STOCK and there probaly is a thread for this in the forumm im sure

What could be the cause of this.

A common cause for softening of the hoses is ATF getting up there. When the diaphragm of the trans vacuum modulator goes bad ATF gets by into the hose. Eventually it gets up to the engine and softens the rubber and the hoses fall off.

~Mark

thank you for the advice on somewhere to start just changed the fuel filter and is the trans vac modulator a hard fix ?

Pull the vacuum lines off the octopus on the plenum and see if there is any fluid in any of them.

If so, it is most likely ATF (from the trans) which means you change the modulator. There is also a chance it is fuel. If its fuel you need to change the Fuel Pressure regulator

There is a how to for both parts on here.

~Mark

hey Mark. Thanks for the advice do you know the user name who posted the how to on the trans vacuum modulator or do u know where I can find it on here. I have tried to search for it but no luck. Do you know if that is a hard fix.

My '94 does the same thing occasionally. Once in a while it "sneezes" when I go to start it and that's when the hoses pop off. I put zip ties on the ends of the hoses which has pretty much put a stop to them coming off.

changed the trans vac mod now I have no reverse when I put it in reverse it goes forward about an inch and stops when I give it gas nothing happens but the engine revs (feels like a the parking brake is engaged)when I put it in neutral it goes forward not rolling when I put it in drive it moves forward but it only goes like 30 to 35 and doesn't shift what could be the cause? Would a rebuild kit for the tranny take care of it?

My '94 does the same thing occasionally. Once in a while it "sneezes" when I go to start it and that's when the hoses pop off. ....
How many miles on your '94? Has the timing chain been replaced?
Even when the hoses are soft they shouldn't come off with vacuum in them, it's when there is pressure in the intake manifold that they'll blow off. That pressure or "sneezing" is generated when the engine rotation reverses. When my '92 had over 150k it would sometimes reverse the engine rotation if it didn't start after cranking. I learned to crank it just long enough to be sure it would fire. I had a 351W van that would do this fairly often and after changing the timing chain it completely stopped.

It has somewhere around 150,000 I think. I've driven it very little since last Thanksgiving and my father-in-law has been driving it the past 2-3 months, so I haven't kept up with the mileage. I've had this Explorer for 2 weeks shy of 6 years, and it's served me well as a daily driver, but it has enough needs it's time to retire it. Most of it's problems are minor. Too good to junk out, but enough little problems that it isn't worth much. We're just keeping it for a spare vehicle and so my wife can have 4WD the few days she needs it this winter.

The engine is all original. It almost always starts immediately without cranking more than a couple of revolutions, but occasionally it doesn't and kicks back. That's when the vacuum hoses blow off. The hose ends fit very loosely so it doesn't take much to blow them off the tree. About a month ago, my father-in-law said it was running very rough and was going to have a mechanic look at it. I said I'd look at it first. As I suspected, one of the vacuum lines was off. Hooked it back up and it ran like normal.

... I've had this Explorer for 2 weeks shy of 6 years, and it's served me well as a daily driver, but it has enough needs it's time to retire it. Most of it's problems are minor. Too good to junk out, but enough little problems that it isn't worth much. ...
If you ever need to change the water pump I'd go after the timing chain, too.
Our '92 blew a rusty freeze plug, overheated and cracked a head (or blew a gasket) at 215k. It is almost all original - entire engine/trans/rear axle/cat. The kids were learning to drive in it. They got to know where to plug the vacuum hoses back into the fittings. Found a real clean '92 & '93 for the kids to drive. If the "minor problems" with yours are some small parts PM me a list - there are plenty of clean (i.e. not rusted out) SoCal cars in the junkyard and I have a parts car, too.

Thanks for the tips and offer. No plans to do anything more than minimum basic maintenance. Body parts are not a problem. The local pick and pull has a good supply of Explorers if I need anything.

Mine has a mystery coolant leak that pops up from time to time. It will go months without leaking visibly, then it will leak a good puddle for several days or a couple of weeks whenever it's parked. Then the noticeable leak goes away for sometimes months. In 5 years I haven't been able to find where it comes from. It seems to be somewhere high on the driver's side.

One of the servo covers is in crooked so it leaks trans fluid. The back doors don't open from the inside even though everything seems to move like it should. It goes through a starter every year or less. They work fine until all of a sudden they don't. O'Reilly's stopped warranting their remans for me, so the last 2 have been new ones. Front end - maybe a hub - is noisy. Father-in-law just had a bearing put in, so maybe that was it. Slow leak in 1 tire. A/C doesn't work. And the thing with the vacuum hoses.

I just got used to everything until my dad passed away a year ago and I drove his Buick for a month and then bought my Sport Trac. The Ex is just tired, but still dependable if you keep an eye on everything. You might be able to tell from that last sentence I'm kinda torn.

... Mine has a mystery coolant leak that pops up from time to time. It will go months without leaking visibly, then it will leak a good puddle for several days or a couple of weeks whenever it's parked. Then the noticeable leak goes away for sometimes months. In 5 years I haven't been able to find where it comes from. It seems to be somewhere high on the driver's side....
Our '92 blew was leaking coolant and blew a freeze plug - the furthest one forward on the driver's side of the block. All the other freeze plugs looked fine. All the freeze plugs on our 2nd '92 look good. All the plugs on the '93 are also good, except for the one furthest forward on the driver's side of the block (??). It was rusty and dripping coolant.

I would think a leaking freeze plug wouldn't be so random. This has been going on for 5 years. A bad freeze plug would surely have completely failed by now.

Funny... My '94 just did this exact thing for the first time ever yesterday :confused: Blew 3 hoses off the vac tree, as well as blew apart the hose going to the cruise control solenoid where there's a little inline filter or valve thingie just before the solenoid (took me a moment to find that one).

Happened when i released the key too soon before the engine caught. (muffled backfire sound along with a puff of smoke coming from under the hood)

106K miles on it.

(muffled backfire sound along with a puff of smoke coming from under the hood)

Yep, that's when it happens with mine.

Back