Please help with identifying this part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help with identifying this part

BigZac

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport SOHCV6
...and how to remove it.

I am cleaning out the throttle body and I've unbolted it. I hav ea '99 Sport 4WD SOHC 4.0L engine, and on the right side of the throttle body, there is the throbble cable (which just slides out of its housing) and then another plastic part right next to the throttle cable. I can't figure out how to remove/disconnect that plastic thing. It is related to the throttle (could it be the speed control wire?) because it moves when the throttle cable moves... but I can't figure out hwo to disconnect it.

Please help!? :)

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

I think it might not be the speed control wire but the "transmission kickdown cable" or something like that. Anyone know how to remove it?

if its like the opther Ford engine it is clipped to the throttle cable and should snap off

This should be your cruise control cable.

Thanks

Thanks 410Fortune. Regardless of what it was, it snapped right off when I pulled on it. I guess I'm just a little wary of applying too much muscle to something for fear of breaking it.

Throttle body = spotless!

wary = a GOOD thing, trust me I have broken my share of parts only to find out when they break how they are meant to come apart. And little parts like this can be a real PITA on the wallet and to locate.

Now do your IAC valve, MAS, and consider cleaning/replacing out the EGR tube if you have over 100K miles :)

136k miles

I cleaned the IACV (I mean to replace it--and a few other parts--in a couple of months when my tax refunds come along, but for the time I think I can get by with just cleaning it) and the MAS last night. I'm about to reconnect the battery and run a bit of the ol' Sea Foam through it again, and hopefully this will clear the P0306 cyl. 6 misfire code i'm throwing. We'll see.

...What's the EGR tube?

Thanks again!

hahaha Your 99 SOHC should have EGR.
Not sure if it is an external EGR system however. The EGR is Exhaust Gas Recurculator or something along those lines. There is a valve that opens up and allows exhaust back into the intake. if your drivers side or passenger side exhaust manifold has a metal tube coming out of the top of it that leads to the intake, this is your EGR. The dealer sells new tubes for about $20, or you can get the carbon buildup out yourself.

But for now dont worry about it, I had no idea you had a code.

Have you pulled the plug on Cyl 6?

One piece at a time (like Johnny Cash)

I'm going to pull plugs and clean & regap/replace Saturday. I found the EGR... I presume it's the hard plastic tube running from the intake to the IAC. What should I clean it with? I have carb cleaner, but the tube might not appreciate that very much. Will hot soapy water work, or should I use something else? I was going to use a cloth-on-a-string sort of rig for clean it with... Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Zach the egr is on the drivers side. the tube comes up from the exhaust manifold and attaches to the intake manifold through the egr valve. the valve has a round vacuum canister on top. The tubes are not plastic, they are ALL metal and covered in insulation. It is exhaust gas and is very hot.

Thanks, jfh123. Any recommendations on how to clean it? Should I just pull a rag soaked with carb cleaner through it a few times?

I am not sure of that. This message thread is the first I have ever heard of needing to clean the egr tube out. I'm no mechanic so there is a lot I don't know.
I know there are parts with special coatings (like the iac port I believe) that you are not to use any solvents on.
It's hard to imagine that tube being blocked enough to restrict the flow but...
If you do decide to check it out let us all know how bad it was.

Back