Please recommend all weather tires! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please recommend all weather tires!

Hey guys, I am waiting for my 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum and I am already thinking of modifications that I would like to do to it.

Anyway, the first mod is to replace the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tires with Toyo Celsius CUV All Weather Tires.

The OE Hankook size is 255/50R20 however Toyo doesn't make this exact size but they do make a 265/50R20 which will work just fine on the Explorer.

Has anyone had any experience with All Weather Tires before?

For me, I really like the idea as I can trade in or sell my OE Hankook Tires and since I really don't drive as much as most do, they will last me my entire lease.

Other advantages are,

1) Good looking tread pattern.
2) No need to change to Winter Tires.
3) They offer the 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake symbol which not only exceeds the snow tire performance standards but will also please my insurance company. In my case, I live in Ontario, Canada so this will make me eligible for the "Winter" tire discount on my insurance.

I think it's a win-win as the OEM Hankook Tires are really lacking during the winter months.

Livio :ca:
See my post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3508117&postcount=237

In testing the Nokian WRG3 and the Toyo Celcius all weather tires did outperform some dedicated Winter tires.

BTW, I've been getting a 5% discount on my annual premium for more than 5 years for using 4 Winter tires.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See my post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3508117&postcount=237

In testing these tires did outperform some dedicated Winter tires.

BTW, I've been getting a 5% discount on my annual premium for years for using 4 Winter tires.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

In my research I actually did come across the test that Consumer Reports did.

For me personally, the All Weather tire option is the way to go as it will meet all my requirements and get me the 5% discount.

Livio

Just got to drive my '17 Explorer Sport in the snow for the first time yesterday and MAN do the Hankook's suck for traction and braking! I'm looking to switch them out ASAP. What do you guys recommend for an all-weather tire that gets decent traction and braking in the snow and ice?

Just got to drive my '17 Explorer Sport in the snow for the first time yesterday and MAN do the Hankook's suck for traction and braking! I'm looking to switch them out ASAP. What do you guys recommend for an all-weather tire that gets decent traction and braking in the snow and ice?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It isn't really the tires fault since you are using them in conditions for which they weren't designed for. If you want traction and safety, go to a dedicated Winter tire. So called 'All Season' tires are really only good for 3 seasons. Snow is only one consideration. Non Winter tires begin
to lose grip at 43 degrees F and the rubber gets harder as the temperature drops making them even less safe on cold bare roads. Within the past couple years manufacturers have come out with actual all weather tires that meet the standard for Winter tires while also capable of being used year round.
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right of page) I also found this thread on the subject;
Toyo Celsius CUV All Weather Tires

Peter

Some people don't want two sets of tires. In some climates, winter tires are rarely if ever needed. Like people in Los Angeles that once in a blue moon go over a mountain pass towards Big Bear or Tahoe. However, Massachusetts doesn't qualify for that situation as there is plenty of freezing weather there.

But dedicated winter tires are absolutely the safest choice if you actually have to deal with temperatures below 7C/44F with or without snow/ice. The tires remain softer and grippy. But if you drive those in the summer, they will be too soft and have dramatically fast wear and poor handling.

Summer "all seasons" are harder rubber for better performance, grip, and durability in typical non winter conditions.

When you start trying to go to all weather tires, you are really just getting a hybrid. They'll be okay in winter, and they'll function in summer... but you'll spend more money replacing those than you would by having two dedicated sets of tires/rims in the long run. My wife's CRV is going on the 3rd winter on the same winter tires and I figure they'll get another 3 seasons on them.

My winters on my 2017 are going on their second season of winter (bought it Aug 2016), and they have 12/32 tread on them still -- basically they are still new after an entire season. The OEM Hankooks with 8 months of use are already down to 6/32 tread (new at 9/32). I give them 2 more seasons at most. But I'll get something different when the time comes. I have a total of 16,000km (10,000 miles) after 15 months of ownership.

I don't know much about all weather tires... the tech is getting better and the costs are be coming down. The thing to look at would be the mileage warranty on the tires themselves and compare them to the classic two sets.

Does anyone have test data showing performance differences of summer, all season, all weather and winter tires on cold(~0C/32F) dry roads?
I found a few tests of cold, snow/ice covered data.
And other data of warm and wet, but nothing for cold, dry roads.

I can comment that summer tires are terrible in cold weather. The ones on my Stang start to get hard and lose grip when temps get down to 60F and below.

All-weather tires—a variation of all-season tires designed to excel in tough winter conditions—can be a convenient option if you want to avoid switching to winter/snow tires in the fall and replacing them in the spring.

Most All-Weather Tires Provide an Edge in the Snow

Peter

Wondering if anyone has either the Goodyear Assurance Weatheready or the the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport? I’m interested to hear your opinion.

Both have the 3Peaks severe-snow rating but are still classified as ‘All Weather tires’. Obviously they won’t perform as well as dedicated winter tires but they should be a significant improvement over the cheap and nasty ‘all season’ tires that the dealer had on my car.

All opinions/suggestions appreciated, but I will be sticking with one set of tires. Thanks!

The Finnish tire company Nokian has a long history of making the best winter tires and driving technological innovation in the field. In fact, Nokian invented winter tires back in the 1930s, and the company still holds more winter tire patents than all other tire companies combined.

WRG4 is their current all weather tire and is highly rated. WRG3 is prior version and still has some limited availability (and may be able to found at a discount - I got mine recently for $110/ea m&b otd).

If you want to go Goodyear, the new enforcer is their "premium" all weather police/fleet offering. Eagle ultra grip is their prior offering. Sizing is limited, but they have 18" options.

The bfg advantage ta sport is a std all season tires. I'd pass on that for 4 season use.

The Finnish tire company Nokian has a long history of making the best winter tires and driving technological innovation in the field. In fact, Nokian invented winter tires back in the 1930s, and the company still holds more winter tire patents than all other tire companies combined.

WRG4 is their current all weather tire and is highly rated. WRG3 is prior version and still has some limited availability (and may be able to found at a discount - I got mine recently for $110/ea m&b otd).

If you want to go Goodyear, the new enforcer is their "premium" all weather police/fleet offering. Eagle ultra grip is their prior offering. Sizing is limited, but they have 18" options.

The bfg advantage ta sport is a std all season tires. I'd pass on that for 4 season use.

Thanks KayGee. Sorry, I should have noted that I'm keeping the stock 2014 Explorer Sport rims which fit the 255/50/R20 size tire so that rules out the Nokian's and the Goodyear's.

Also, the BGF Advantage TA Sport is actually an 'All Weather' tire because it has the '3 Mountain Peaks' certification for severe snow. The only tires I could find on Tire Rack that fit my rim and have the severe weather rating certification are these ones and the Goodyear Assurance.

My bad, the nokian wrg3 SUV and wrg4 SUV are available in 20s. 235/55, 255/45, and 265/50 - all of which should be fine to replace a 255/50.

There are a lot of other vendors besides tire rack and many have much better selection and prices.

As for the bfg, it appears the same as the nokian - the advantage ta sport is an all season tire, not all weather and doesn't come in 20s The advantage ta sport LT is the all weather version and comes in 20s.

Nokian has limited sizes, nothing for my 2014 with 18" wheels. Firestone makes a winter tire with the 3PMSF symbol called the Weather Grip that has a 65,000 mile warranty. I am purchasing a set of 245/60/18"s for $716.00 all in.

Nokian has limited sizes, nothing for my 2014 with 18" wheels.
1479206864-donald-trump-wrong.gif

WRG3 SUV was available in 245/60R18 (may be hard to find as it was discontinued last year)
WRG4 SUV is currently available in 245/60R18

There are alternate sizes that would work also in the regular or SUV line. If you don't believe me, go right to the Nokian website and look for yourself. It's not a secret. It's publicly available information.

Nokian WR G3 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires
Nokian WR G3 SUV - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires

Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires
Nokian WR G4 SUV - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires

Back