PO171 Code with random rough idle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PO171 Code with random rough idle

If you don't mind sharing, what did you use to plot those charts?

I used good ole Excel to create those charts. Just select the columns and click insert chart. I selected the 2D line chart.

Glad you finally tracked the leak down. I would just silicone those areas and see if that takes care of the issue and maybe check all the mounting bolts on it to make sure they are tight before using silicone on the problem areas.
Also, each intake does have it's own o-ring/gasket and most automotive stores carry the manifold gasket sets.

Unfortunately, I don't think a manifold gasket set is going to make it stop. It's not leaking from either the upper or lower intake manifold gaskets. I sprayed those down really well with no change in O2 sensor results. I also checked the torque on the bolts. All were good at 89 in/lbs. I gave them all a tiny bit more of a turn but it didn't make a different to the problem spot.

Those two arms adjust the air mixture going into the cylinder. The air is leaking around that pivot point. I can't really even get to the shaft because the arm is in the way. That little arm that's sticking up connecting to the plastic is welded on. So I can't even remove it to fully access the shaft.

Bummed that it also looks like I can't buy the manifold runners separately. On top of that, looks like the dealer is the only one who sells the full intake manifold. I found an aftermarket one for the Mustang (it's the first picture in my previous post), but not for the Explorer/Mountaineer.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get the cost of the manifold. I'll also ask their service department how much it'll be to put it on. If it's not too bad I'll make an appt, otherwise it's my next free weekend project.

Has anyone else had a leak from this spot on their intake manifold? Or am I the only lucky one so far?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used good ole Excel to create those charts. Just select the columns and click insert chart. I selected the 2D line chart.

Unfortunately, I don't think a manifold gasket set is going to make it stop. It's not leaking from either the upper or lower intake manifold gaskets. I sprayed those down really well with no change in O2 sensor results. I also checked the torque on the bolts. All were good at 89 in/lbs. I gave them all a tiny bit more of a turn but it didn't make a different to the problem spot.

Those two arms adjust the air mixture going into the cylinder. The air is leaking around that pivot point. I can't really even get to the shaft because the arm is in the way. That little arm that's sticking up connecting to the plastic is welded on. So I can't even remove it to fully access the shaft.

Bummed that it also looks like I can't buy the manifold runners separately. On top of that, looks like the dealer is the only one who sells the full intake manifold. I found an aftermarket one for the Mustang (it's the first picture in my previous post), but not for the Explorer/Mountaineer.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get the cost of the manifold. I'll also ask their service department how much it'll be to put it on. If it's not too bad I'll make an appt, otherwise it's my next free weekend project.

Has anyone else had a leak from this spot on their intake manifold? Or am I the only lucky one so far?!
I doubt its actually the manifold leaking. I would guess it has to be the gasket. I would really look further before buying a new manifold, and all that work. To be honest, If your gonna buy one, get a used one. You will save yourself a ton of $.

Sorry, I meant how did you pull the data? I have TorquePro and it's like giving a hoard of gold to a monk. :D

I doubt its actually the manifold leaking. I would guess it has to be the gasket. I would really look further before buying a new manifold, and all that work. To be honest, If your gonna buy one, get a used one. You will save yourself a ton of $.

Yeah, I really want it to not be the air adjustment on the manifold runners. It's SO much cheaper to only put new gaskets on and not a new manifold.

I'm going to try to only expose that pivot point and see if it still has a problem. I'll probably put some sealant on the upper and lower seal so that only the pivot point is exposed to the starter fluid. If it still pegs rich after that I'll know it's the pivot point. I may take a video just so others can see. It definitely took me by surprise that it could even leak back there.

Sorry, I meant how did you pull the data? I have TorquePro and it's like giving a hoard of gold to a monk. :D

For a while I was using my handheld Actron CP9180 scanner. It works great but doesn't get some PIDs that I'm interested in. So I purchased a bluetooth adapter and TorquePro (same as you). TorquePro gives me a realtime graph which made it easier for me to identify when the O2 sensors went rich. Before I'd have to record the data and graph it in Excel after the fact. Much bigger pain.

I still use TorquePro to make the after the fact charts though. I download the data from their website in .csv format and graph the O2 sensors. It's actually easier to get data from TorquePro since it's already in .csv format. I had to write an Excel VBScript for the Actron data since it outputs just clear text.

I created a video of the issue in case others are stuck trying to find this issue:

I found some intake manifold runners for a 4.6L V8 Mustang (2006-2008). It looks like they are an exact match for the runners in the 4.6L Explorer/Mountaineer.

Does anyone know for sure if they'll fit our 4.6L? I'm concerned about how the internal blades look. Does anyone have a picture of those runners off the truck?

Thanks!

For a while I was using my handheld Actron CP9180 scanner. It works great but doesn't get some PIDs that I'm interested in. So I purchased a bluetooth adapter and TorquePro (same as you). TorquePro gives me a realtime graph which made it easier for me to identify when the O2 sensors went rich. Before I'd have to record the data and graph it in Excel after the fact. Much bigger pain.

I still use TorquePro to make the after the fact charts though. I download the data from their website in .csv format and graph the O2 sensors. It's actually easier to get data from TorquePro since it's already in .csv format. I had to write an Excel VBScript for the Actron data since it outputs just clear text.

Thank you! Great info. I really need to invest the time to unlock all the bells and whistles in TorquePro.

Back