Police Utility with Inoperable Inside Rear Door Handles? Read this... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Utility with Inoperable Inside Rear Door Handles? Read this...

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
So I just picked up a 2015 PIU and it has the hidden door lock plungers in the B pillar and non-working rear door handles. I figured I'd be clever and order up some parts to make this work, however sometimes jumping the gun can be wasteful.

All of the door lock rods and cables are installed in the door. If your vehicle does not have the lock knob sticking out of the top of the door panel, just order two of them from your local dealer (part # BB5Z-7821850-AA). To install the knobs, you'll need to remove the rear door panel which takes about five minutes (2 x 10mm bolts, 2 x 7mm screws). Pop the knobs on and reinstall the door panel.

Now how to get the rear door handles working from the inside. Ford charges money to disable these, but the deactivation is nothing more than the child safety lock found on the retail models. The difference is that it's hidden under a plastic plug, just above the rear door lock assembly. You can use a flat blade screw driver to remove the plastic plug, turn the child safety switch 90 degrees and your rear doors now function from the inside.

I ordered cables, rods and all kinds of stuff, figuring this would be similar to the older Crown Vics. However it's not and the only parts missing are the knobs. Even if you have the hidden plungers in the B-pillar, the door lock rod is still installed, it's just missing the knob.

So for about $20, you can return it to fully operational state.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20161029142235-77692229-me.jpg

The child safety lock is being the large circular plug as shown in the top center of the picture above. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pop it out and then turn the child safety lock 90 degrees to enable the rear door handles.

No dice. Turned but no change .

Hmm. You'll need to remove your door panel then. Perhaps the cable was removed or disconnected. Removal is easy. Let me know what you find. If you need cables, I have a set. That's the only thing it can be at this point.

If you ordered the actual $25 inoperative door handles they just don't hook up the cable to the handle otherwise its just child lock that is flipped.

If you ordered the actual $25 inoperative door handles they just don't hook up the cable to the handle otherwise its just child lock that is flipped.

Good to know. I guess someone reconnected mine at some point but didn't know to turn the child lock since my vehicle came with the "Ready for the Road" package with the hidden B-pillar door lock plungers and disabled rear door handles.

This depends on who has touched the car.. the child safety lock is the normal practice. But different upfitters do many different things and not all correct..

To remove the door panel you only need four tools:
  • 10MM Socket, Extension and Ratchet
  • 7mm Socket, Extension and Ratchet
  • Flat blade screw driver
  • Trim removal tool or a small pry bar wrapped in painters tape
Use the flathead screwdriver to remove the trim pieces inside of the door handle area and the door pull area. Behind each of those little trim pieces will be a 10mm bolt. Once those are out, remove the two 7mm screws which are located at the very bottom of the door panel.

Next, remove the C pillar trim piece which sits above the door panel. It just pops off. From there, use your trim removal tool to wedge it between the door panel and the door in either the lower left or right corners of the door. Once you get one trim retainers to pop loose, you can pull the door panel outwards a bit and see where the other ones are at. Just pry and the panel will release. There are around 6-7 per door panel. Once those are all released, lift the door panel straight up and unplug the power window harness. From there you can let it hang if the door handle cable is attached. If it's not attached, then you know what you need to do next. Attach it or install a cable if it's missing.

Resurrecting this thread today to help some PIU owners out. My rear doors didn't work even with disabling/enabling child lock like unixadm's post.

I investigated before ordering rear door cables to connect the handle to the latch. I removed the rear panel to find mine simply unhooked! The police upfitter company just removed the cable from the back of the handle. They covered it with some foam most likely to keep any rattling away over bumps. I connected them, disabled child lock and voila! Rear doors open from the inside.
20170414_181252.jpg
20170414_181334.jpg
See photos attached.

Resurrecting this thread today to help some PIU owners out. My rear doors didn't work even with disabling/enabling child lock like unixadm's post.

I investigated before ordering rear door cables to connect the handle to the latch. I removed the rear panel to find mine simply unhooked! The police upfitter company just removed the cable from the back of the handle. They covered it with some foam most likely to keep any rattling away over bumps. I connected them, disabled child lock and voila! Rear doors open from the inside. View attachment 96500 View attachment 96501 See photos attached.
Thanks a lot. I just used this to do my 2014's doors. The hardest part was taking the panel off without breaking the tabs.

To remove the door panel you only need four tools:
  • 10MM Socket, Extension and Ratchet
  • 7mm Socket, Extension and Ratchet
  • Flat blade screw driver
  • Trim removal tool or a small pry bar wrapped in painters tape
Use the flathead screwdriver to remove the trim pieces inside of the door handle area and the door pull area. Behind each of those little trim pieces will be a 10mm bolt. Once those are out, remove the two 7mm screws which are located at the very bottom of the door panel.

Next, remove the C pillar trim piece which sits above the door panel. It just pops off. From there, use your trim removal tool to wedge it between the door panel and the door in either the lower left or right corners of the door. Once you get one trim retainers to pop loose, you can pull the door panel outwards a bit and see where the other ones are at. Just pry and the panel will release. There are around 6-7 per door panel. Once those are all released, lift the door panel straight up and unplug the power window harness. From there you can let it hang if the door handle cable is attached. If it's not attached, then you know what you need to do next. Attach it or install a cable if it's missing.
Hello,
I have a similar problem, there is no knob in the rear door and the door cannot be opened from the inside,
if someone could attach a photo with the elements to be removed (door panel),
I do not really know from the description where they are.
Thanks for the help.

Does your PIU have Child Safety Locks? If so, are they set to 'unlock' or disabled?

Peter

Does your PIU have Child Safety Locks? If so, are they set to 'unlock' or disabled?

Peter

I have already checked, but it is not about the child's safety , but probably there is no release cable (or it's like post # 12)
and there is no a Knob/ or Knob - Door Lock Control..
I have to check it by disassembling the rear door panel;)

I have already checked, but it is not about the child's safety , but probably there is no release cable (or it's like post # 12)
and there is no a Knob/ or Knob - Door Lock Control..
I have to check it by disassembling the rear door panel;)
The cable was likely disconnected like in many other PIU's

Peter

The cable was likely disconnected like in many other PIU's

Peter
Hi
I confirm, one door was exactly the same as post #12, the 2nd door had a hidden release cable (inside hole).
In any case I was able to disassemble the rear door panel with no problem.

So I just picked up a 2015 PIU and it has the hidden door lock plungers in the B pillar and non-working rear door handles. I figured I'd be clever and order up some parts to make this work, however sometimes jumping the gun can be wasteful.

All of the door lock rods and cables are installed in the door. If your vehicle does not have the lock knob sticking out of the top of the door panel, just order two of them from your local dealer (part # BB5Z-7821850-AA). To install the knobs, you'll need to remove the rear door panel which takes about five minutes (2 x 10mm bolts, 2 x 7mm screws). Pop the knobs on and reinstall the door panel.

Now how to get the rear door handles working from the inside. Ford charges money to disable these, but the deactivation is nothing more than the child safety lock found on the retail models. The difference is that it's hidden under a plastic plug, just above the rear door lock assembly. You can use a flat blade screw driver to remove the plastic plug, turn the child safety switch 90 degrees and your rear doors now function from the inside.

I ordered cables, rods and all kinds of stuff, figuring this would be similar to the older Crown Vics. However it's not and the only parts missing are the knobs. Even if you have the hidden plungers in the B-pillar, the door lock rod is still installed, it's just missing the knob.

So for about $20, you can return it to fully operational state.
As far as the BB5Z-7821850-AA goes can they be installed WITHOUT removing the door panel?
It cold outside! LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello! I made a youtube guide when I fixed the doors on my 2014 Interceptor. I wanted to install the pushpins but the actuating rods were missing.. requiring me to completely remove the locking actuator.

Youtube Video

Manual Parts PIU.PNG

Back